Chapter 25

July 4th, 2022 - Gameday

Mal's POV

"Mal! Mal! Mallory!" Yelled Morgana, waking me suddenly. 

"What? I'm up, I'm up." I sat up, giving the girl who was standing over me a kiss. 

"My family just got here."

"Nice!" I said, pushing her away and stretching. "Are they at the hotel like now?" 

"Yeah! It's 10:00!" 

"Why'd you let me sleep this late?" I asked. 

"Because I was too worried about them coming and Chloe said she had something important to tell me and-" 

"Okay. I get it. Slow down. Calm down." I said to the overly excited Morgana next to me. 

"And remember. My parents don't know." I said. 

"Neither do mine." 

"Are yours coming?" 

"Not tonight but for the next 2."  

"Well that's nerve racking." 

"Why?" 

"I don't know. It just is." 

"Make sure your family doesn't come in here before I'm ready." I told her, standing up and finding clothes. 

"Got it." She replied, and ran out of the room. 

I cleaned up the room a little bit too, just throwing clothes into suitcases and lining shoes nicely along the wall. 

I also put on a little bit of makeup before I jumped in the completely untouched bed and rolled around a bit. I also moved the pillows a little bit. 

We're doing everything in our power to keep this a secret, but I have no idea how much longer I can take this. 

"Here we go guys!" Morgana opened the door, and her family came flooding in, and they all swarmed me, and I picked up Hayley and squeezed her. 

"Aunt Mal!" She said happily. 

"What's up kiddo?" I asked, setting her down on the bed. 

"I'm going onto a good soccer team this year!" 

"Are you really?" 

"Yes! It's basically the same thing as your team. But Aunt Ash and Aunt Soph aren't on it. Unless they want to. Then maybe they can come play. We can make room." 

I laughed and hugged Morgana's parents and Chloe. Morgana was talking to Chloe's husband, John, on the other side of the (not very big) room. 

"Hi. I don't know if we really got a chance to formally meet. I'm Mallory Pugh, Morgana's teammate and more importantly best friend." I stuck out my hand. 

"I'm John Fleet, Chloe's husband." She shook my hand back. "I'm sorry I missed all of the times you were in Colorado. I go away for work a lot." 

"It's totally fine." I smiled. "You gonna be in the stands tonight?" 

"Of course. Wouldn't miss it for the world." 

We all talked a little bit more before Morgana kicked everyone out so we could go get something to eat with our friends. 

"Are you going to see Aunt Ashley without me?" Hayley asked sadly. 

"If it's okay with your mom we can bring you." I said, looking at Chloe. 

"Are you sure?" 

"Of course! I'll just bring her back here before we have to leave for the game. I am going to have to get my stuff anyway. And I think Alex Morgan is bringing her daughter too, so they can play together." 

"Alright. Hayley, you better be good." Chloe said, kneeling down next to her. "Listen to Aunt Morgana and Aunt Mal and whoever else is there that you know. And don't talk to strangers." 

"I won't!" 

"And bring this." She gave her a little backpack that I assume had toys in it. 

"Thanks mommy. I'm gonna be very good." 

"We all said bye and left after that, and we all met up with our group in the hotel lobby. 

I heard Hayley scream, and I turned around to see Sanchez had picked her up and now she was laughing. 

"Please tell me I picked up the right little kid." She said, flipping her around. "I DID! HAYLEY!" 

"Hi Aunt Ash. You scared me." Hayley laughed. 

"I missed you, princess." 

"Me too." 

"Hey Trin, this is Morgana's niece Hayley. Hayley, this is our friend Trinity." 

"And this is my best friend Aunt Ash." Hayley said. 

"Nice to meet you, Hayley! I've heard so much about you!" Said Trin, giving her a high five. 

We walked to the restaurant after Kelley, Hatchy, Soph, Alex, Lindsey and Rose met us downstairs. It was only a half mile away. 

Sanchez carried Hayley on her shoulders the entire time, and then sat on the other side of her and colored the entire time. 

I never knew a 20 year old and a 4 year old could be best friends, but here we are. 

"Morgana, come with me." I said, making her stand up and dragging her to the bathroom before the food came. 

"What's wrong?" She asked me

"Vlatko said that I can't start tonight." I said, looking at my phone. 

"What??" 

"And I don't know if I'm even going to be able to play!" I said, trying not to cry. "Because of that stupid fight and red card." 

"It was pretty stupid of you-"

Sophia walked in, and at the right time too, because it seemed like Morgana was about to get mad. 

"What's wrong?" She asked quietly, looking at each of us carefully. 

"Um, because of my red the other night, I may not be able to play tonight." I said.

"Oh no." 

"It was a dumb thing to do, Mal! I didn't need anyone standing up for me." Said Morg. 

"Listen, Morgana, why don't you go back to the table. Hayley is nervous because she doesn't know where you went. I can take care of this, because obviously you don't underatdnd." Said Soph, pushing Morgana out the door. 

"But-" She protested. 

"Go." 

She left, and Sophia looked at me. 

"So why'd you fight the girl?" 

"Because she was talking shit about Morgana." 

"I get it. I really do. And are you in the wrong? Kind of. But you're very right not to let someone talk to your girl like that. And that girl was rude." 

"But I might not be able to play now." 

"But do you feel like it was the right thing?" 

"Yes." I paused. "But not correctly executed." 

"I get it." 

"Is it worth potentially missing a game though?" 

"That's only for you to decide." 

"Sophia. Just give me an answer-"  

"How much do you love Morgana?" She asked. 

"She's my whole world. Every bit of it. She's with me at home, on the soccer field, everywhere I go. I love her more than life."  I replied. 

"Then there's your answer." 

"It was worth it." 

"Mhm."