Chapter Two

Mason's POV

Haliegh fell asleep right after we left the school parking lot. I stopped and got some burgers for later on. She needs to eat something later other than a pudding cup. She's so tiny. I wonder what she actually eats all the time. The fact that she skips lunch everyday at school, does that mean she skips lunch of the weekends, is she only eating breakfast and dinner? Maybe that's why she hasn't shifted yet. I can't believe I finally have a mate. 

Haliegh is such a shy and quiet person. But she's smart, witty, kind, caring and responsible. She's going to make a great Luna. But more than anything, she's my mate and going to be the best thing for me. And I'll be the best thing for her. 

I pull into the driveway. We don't live that far from the school. Just on the edge of town. I can see my dad's SUV in the garage. 

I park and sigh as I look over at Haliegh. 

She's curled up protecting her arms that's in the cast. She looks so peaceful. She looks so innocent and pure.  

I get out and carry her into my room being extremely careful to not touch  her arm. I lay her on top of my covers. 

I run back down stairs to my SUV and grab our food, her purse, and our school bags.  I put the burger in the fridge before heading back up to my room to check on Haliegh and stash our stuff. 

"MASON!" I hear my dad yell out. Does he really have to yell? He knows that I can hear without having to yell and waking Haliegh. 

I walk down to his office on the first floor. 

"What's up?" I ask him. 

"You're home early?" Dad says as he look up from his papers and over at the clock on the wall. 

"Haliegh's upstairs asleep. Tyler smashed into her on accident and broke her arm. By the way she's my mate. So no yelling, even though I'm pretty sure that the pain killers mom gave her will keep her knocked out for awhile. Do you know about her getting bullied?"

"I know. I've known for awhile about Haliegh."

"Why the hell didn't you tell me? She's my freaking mate and people have been picking on her and she thinks she doesn't matter."

Dad sighed. He opens a drawer and pulls out a thick folder. 

"Have you ever wondered why I kept Haliegh's file?"

"I guess I didn't realize that you had a file on Haliegh."

"Mason, Haliegh has been picked on since she started school. She's shy. Easy to hurt by others and they know that."

"Her file? Jesus dad why didn't you step in or let me step in. She shouldn't have been treated like this her entire life."

"Well I was waiting for Haliegh to realize that she's better than what they make her out to be."

"Who?" 

"Three people. MiKayla West, Trista Guellar and Lisa Till."

"Right, the three witches." I mutter. Those three torture anyone that they can. They have been bullying since grade school. If it's not their perfect way then it's something they can torture the poor soul about. 

"I guess that's what you guys call them. Those three have been tormenting Haliegh since kindergarten."

"Jesus dad. Why let her get this hurt?"

"I wasn't trying. But sometimes as an Alpha you have to understand when to walk away and just let people face their own battles. Haliegh can't always have people fighting her battles."

"I don't get it."

"You will. But you'll have Haliegh right there to remind you that."

"Are you going to call her dad or do I have to?"

"I can. You know today is her 18th birthday."

"I know. She's asleep in my room. I don't  think she'll be up anytime soon but will you listen for  her?"

"Sure."

"I'm running to get a present." I start for the door but stop. 

"Wait dad what the hell do I get her?" 

"Something girly, a new purse or a spa gift card. Your mom always likes stuff like that or maybe a pinic."

"Oh go. I've never had to do this before." I sigh. This could be frustrating. 

"It will be fine. You'll figure it out." Dad says. I nod and head out so that I can get back before she wakes up and I have to take her to work.