。one 。

♡

a blaring alarm went off in adella's room and she grumbled into her pillow, hitting the snooze button on it before drifting back into a peaceful sleep. what felt like seconds later, the alarm blared again and she slapped her hand on the snooze button again, pushing her hands under her pillows, getting comfortable.

when it blared for a third time, the door to her room swung open, an annoyed hopper standing in the doorway. he grabbed a pillow that had fallen from her bed and whacked her in the head with it, "you've got work!"

"so have you!" the girl shot back, letting the alarm ring just to annoy the man. "god, dad, got to work. so lazy."

"you'll wake el." hopper stated and she huffed but turned the alarm off, turning over to face him. when she went to speak again, he whacked her in the face with her pillow again and quickly left the room before she could retaliate and probably throw it much more viciously.

adella threw her arms over her face, groaning loudly before she pulled herself out of bed reluctantly. after a short shower, she went back into her room and changed into her work clothes that was miles better than steve's sailor costume and hat, which she never heard the end of because it ruined his best feature apparently.

leaving her room, adella grabbed her car keys and quickly shoved some pop tarts into the toaster, waiting for them to ping out of the machine. hopper stood leaning on the counter with a bowl of cereal, his brows furrowed and lips pulled into a small frown.

adella glanced back at him, "what's wrong?"

a knock sounded at the door and el near enough threw herself out of her bedroom to answer it, pulling the door open to let mike inside. hopper glared at the boy as he was dragged by el to her bedroom. adella grinned, nodding at mike who waved hello to her.

"question answered." adella smirked, catching her pop tarts as they pinged out of the toaster.

"exactly! you get it!" hopper exclaimed, gesturing towards her with his spoon. "it's constant. he's always here."

"i think you should get used to it. el isn't letting him go anywhere anytime soon." adella snorted, walking past him to go to the front door.

"i don't want to get used to it. also, i don't think the door is always open three inches, ella." hopper grumbled and she rolled her eyes with a grin.

"just sit in front of the door with binoculars, why don't you." adella joked and hopper seemed to think about something. "i was joking. please, don't do that."

"i wasn't thinking about it." hopper shrugged.

"you definitely were." adella stated and he shrugged in denial again. "you were! don't lie."

"i mean, it would work-"

"no!"

"go to work, i'll plan my revenge alone, since you're no help." hopper replied jokingly.

adella smiled and said a goodbye to him before leaving the cabin. she made her way to her car, getting into it and starting it up before driving off, towards steve's house. when she got there, steve was already coming out of the house, rushing towards her car.

"you're late, you know that?" steve asked, sitting down in the passenger seat.

"well, at least my hair doesn't look like a birds nest." adella hummed which sent steve into a small panic as he started to check himself continuously in the mirror, spinning it to his face. "i need that to see behind us!"

"i have a more pressing matter." steve replied quickly, adjusting his hair repeatedly.

"so when we crash and die, i'll blame it on you." adella mused.

"at least my hair will look good." steve shot back. "i can die beautifully."

"oh, dear god." adella mumbled and snapped the mirror back into place, steve whining in objection.

the rest of the drive to starcourt consisted of steve asking over and over if his hair looked good. it didn't matter what adella said to assure him his best feature looked fine because at one point, he near enough stuck his head out the window the look into the wing mirror.

adella had lit herself a cigarette, winding her window down so the smoke could go out of the car. they pulled up at the mall and she parked, steve getting out of the car and looking around. not many people were there yet, a few people just doing their weekly shopping.

blowing smoke from her lips, adella joined steve's side, screwing out her fag under her boot before they walked inside. steve went to scoops ahoy, the ice cream shop where he worked while adella went to the counter for the cinema where people got their food and drinks to see the movie they wanted even though most bought their own from home.

robin buckley walked into the mall, her face blank and clearly bored of her summer job already. her eyes glanced over to the cinema counter and her steps stuttered when she saw adella filling some of the empty shelves with bags of sweets.

adella's co-worker, james, just stood and watched her pack the shelves, leaning on the counter. clearly annoyed with his lack of help, adella rolled her eyes and glanced up, feeling eyes on her head. hers caught robin's and she gave her a smile that made the ice-cream-slinger's cheeks start to go red.

after that, she rushed off towards scoops ahoy, preparing to bully steve for the day and force her mind off of adella.

{930r