。thirty 。

♡

adella hummed under her breath along to love of my life which was playing into her headphones, attached to her walkman which was on her hip. she folded the last her clothes back into her suitcase that joyce had dried for her, preparing to go back home after visiting el and the byers for a week. she had slept on their settee for the week, keeping her clothes in el's room.

she would have to get to the airport early for her 4 and a half hour flight back home to hawkins. the day before she left to visit the byers, she promised lucas she would make it to his basketball games, even if he had been on the bench the entire time. steve and robin would be picking her up from the airport seeing as though they dropped her off so adella didn't have to leave her car there.

adella zipped her suitcase closed and moved it onto the floor out of the way by the door to grab when she left so she didn't have to wake el up and get it from her room. walking up the stairs, she knocked on el's door, even though it was open 3 inches, making the younger sister call for her to come in.

"hey." adella smiled, pausing her music and placing her headphones around the back of her neck.

"hi." el mumbled, painting her project for school which was a little re-make of hopper's cabin with a toy police car, a squirrel, the trip-wire he made and a little version of hopper which she was currently painting.

"it looks good." adella told her, walking up behind her.

"do you think mrs. gracey will give me a good grade?" el asked softly as she continued to pain hopper's uniform.

"i should think so. you worked hard on this." adella replied. "are the students being any nicer to you?"

"yes. i have made some more friends." el lied, smiling falsely.

"that's good. excited to see mike, i take it?" adella asked and el nodded, biting her lip to conceal her excited grin. "is that why you wanted me to come a the week before this one coming?"

el sighed, "yes, only because you are starting to scare him."

"how?" adella scoffed.

"he says you always glare at him and it makes him feel like he is being watched all the time." el chuckled.

"good." adella mumbled and el rolled her eyes at her sister, still smiling. "what? he needs to be afraid!"

"well, lucky for you, i suppose, he is." el giggled. "what time do you leave?"

"i'm going to the airport while you're asleep so i'll say bye when you go to bed." adella explained and el nodded.

the evening passed and once everyone was asleep, adella made her way to leave and drove to the airport in the car she rented, sleeping on the plane when she eventually got through everything. the next morning, steve and robin where in the car on their way to get her, and afterwards, steve was dropping robin of at school so she could perform in band, playing the trumpet.

robin was hastily putting on makeup in the flap down mirror while steve was rambling, "then there's heidi tomorrow night, but the problem with heidi is that she's going out of state for college. so, it's like, do i wanna start another relationship that has no point other than sex? i mean, i don't know. does that make sense to you? robin, are you listening?"

"uh, yes." she lied.

"what did i just say?" steve demanded.

"something about sex with- with linda." robin guessed, turning to him.

"no, i'm talking about heidi!" steve exclaimed.

"cut me some slack, please!" robin shot back loudly.

"well-"

"your live life is one of labyrinthine complexity. and it is 7:00 in the morning, we have this stupid pep rally, and i woke up looking like a total corpse." she groaned, pushing her face back in the mirror slightly, panicking.

"you're worried about a basketball pep rally? you expect me to believe that?" steve asked in disbelief.

"yeah? so?" robin mumbled quietly.

"so we both know what this is about." steve stated. "okay? i'm not buying that bullshit. this is about adella."

"absolutely not." robin lied.

"yes, it is! you know what else i think?"

"i really don't care-"

"i think you gotta stop pretending to be someone else when you're around her. you just gotta be yourself, she likes you." steve explained.

"you're literally quoting me to me. you do realise that." robin said.

"well, maybe you need to listen to yourself. ever think about that, smarty-pants?" steve shot back. "i listened. look at me. boom. back in business."

"it's not the same thing. okay?" robin denied.

"well..." steve trailed off in disagreement.

robin spoke again, "you ask out a girl and she says no. big deal. nothing happens. maybe your ego's a little bruised. but i ask out the wrong girl, and bam, i'm a town pariah."

"okay, yeah, i'd buy that, except that adella is definitely not the wrong girl." steve shrugged.

"we just don't know that, do we?" robin argued.

"she returned fast times paused at 53 minutes, 5 seconds. do you know who pauses fast times at 53 minutes, 5 seconds?" steve paused and robin said nothing. "people who like boobies, robin!"

"ew! gross. don't say boobies-"

"boobies!" steve continued. "it's not a big deal, okay? i like boobies. you like boobies. adella likes boobies. definitely... it's boobies."

when steve pulled up at the airport, they both got out of the car, waiting by it as adella had said she would meet them outside and not at the gate. adella walked out, pulling her suitcase behind her as her eyes scanned for her friends, grinning when she found them, looking in the other direction for her.

"hi!" adella called and ran over to them, the wheels of her suitcase rattling on the pavement.

"hey!" steve beamed, hugging her tightly when she threw her arms around his neck. "was it an alright flight?"

"minus the crying babies and the woman that kept yelling before we left california, it was okay." adella chuckled and parted her hug with steve.

robin blushed madly when adella hugged her tightly, possibly even tighter than she had steve. the sandy-blonde glanced at steve who seemed smug, wiggling his eyebrows at robin while adella kept hugging her, robin returning it, her arms around her waist. when they pulled away, robin gave her a small grin, trying to force back to flush on the apples of her cheeks.

"hey." adella whispered.

"h-hi." robin stuttered, rolling her eyes when steve snorted behind them.

"so, what have i missed?" adella asked as she placed her suitcase in the boot.

"i'm trying to work out what to do about heidi-"

"steve, shut up before i gouge my own eyes out!" robin cut steve off.

"...you'd still here me-"

"steve!"

{1169}