And now, it seems, I own a cat.

Izuku's POV

I wake up from the same nightmare I've had for weeks to the pitter patter of rain against my window. I look at the time. 4:30. Well, 3 hours of sleep is better than none, I guess. I get up and walk over to the window, silently observing the rain tapping against the roof next to me and the pavement below. The nightmares have been constant and debilitating. I don't think I can patrol anymore until I find a way to fix my sleep issues. Or learn to live with them.

I'm pulled out of my thoughts by something smacking against the lower half of my window. I tilt my head down slightly and see a black cat with light blue eyes and a small white patch on its chest. I go grab a towel and head back to the window. I open it slightly and hold the cat in the towel and dry it off. It doesn't seem too keen to me holding it, but it tolerates it so it can be dry. I set the cat down and close the window, drying all of the rain off of the windowsill.

"Well hello there, little kitty. What's your name?" I go over and look for a collar, finding nothing. I give the cat pets and it seems receptive. I pull out my phone and look for a vet nearby. The cat wanders around, smelling things and taking note of its surroundings. I see that the vet opens at around 7, and it's 4:45. I go back to the cat and sit down next to it, petting it and giving it scratches on the cheeks and behind its ears. I set an alarm for 6:30 and go back to petting the cat.

I must have dozed off a bit because I wake up to my alarm blaring. I look around for the cat and can't find it. I go to stand only to feel a weight on my lap. I look down and see the cat laying there. I look at the time and then back to the cat. I either need to get up, waking the cat in the process, or let the cat wake up naturally, risking being at the vets without enough time to open up my shop. I sit and think for a few minutes, contemplating what to do, only for the cat to get up and move before I can even decide.

I walk over and pick it up. It seems to just go with the flow. I walk with it down to the vets, and it takes less time than I thought. I walk in and go up to the receptionist, still waking up and drinking their coffee. I ask if I can get this cat in and see if it can get its vaccinations done all in one day. They say yes, but that it will take a while. I ask if I can leave the cat there and come back later. They said yes, so I wait until a vet is able to take the cat in and I leave my phone number so I can be called back when it's over.

I make my way back to the cafe, thinking about how I got a nap in. I usually can't ever sleep well, let alone go back to sleep. Maybe this cat has solved all my problems.

I eventually get to the cafe, unlocking my door and prepping everything before flipping over the sign to say open, right on time. Customers steadily stream in and stay for a while. Most of my usuals are there, always at the same time as, well, usual. They make conversation and tell me about their days. One of their kids is graduating soon, and he asked if I could make a cake for the event. I agree and he thanks me. Another person is retiring soon and tells me she'll refer her coworkers to my place for coffee before work. Everything is going smoothly.

About halfway through the day, I get a call from the vet telling me that everything is done and I can come pick up the cat. I say that I'll be there soon, and wait for everyone to leave before going upstairs and grabbing some cash. After I've gathered everything, I go back downstairs and close up shop, saying I'll be back in about 45 minutes.

The walk there is calm and peaceful. I usually don't get out during the day, but now I'm starting to wish I did. The sun is high in the sky, illuminating the streets and making the shops and house glow in the vibrant light. I mostly see this place at night, shrouded in darkness.

I get to the vets in about 15 minutes, going in and speaking to the receptionist. They tell me to wait for the vet to come out into the waiting room and give me the cat back. I browse around, looking at pamphlets for what food is best for them and what litter to use. I take a few and keep them in my back pocket, just in case. The vet comes out in a few minutes, holding the cat in their arms. I go up and ask how the cat's doing and if everything went well. The vet tells me that everything is good with the cat and that she has all her vaccinations. So, it's a female cat. The vet does warn me that they can be very rambunctious at times, but I'm okay with that.

I take the cat and walk back to the cafe, arriving with just enough time for a quick sandwich. I make my food and then remember that the cat must be hungry, so I look to see what I have. I have enough to make her one meal, so I'll have to go out to the grocery store after closing. I make her some food and put it on the floor behind the counter, making sure she won't be too in the way. I eat quickly and then open everything up, making sure that everything is clean and ready.

And now, it seems, I own a cat.

Word Count: 1024

That marks the end of this chapter. I don't know, I just felt like Izuku has had a lot of problems recently, so why not give him a cute animal companion? He deserves it. Just in case you didn't know, by the way, I have another fanfic I've been writing for a while. It's actually my main one. It's called "I Didn't Know I Could Love Until I Met You." Go check it out if you're into dadzawa, and male Ochaco x gay Izuku. Thanks for continuing to read this, it means a lot. Have a good day and remember to drink some water.