Chronicle 17

Season 1

Episode 5

Part: 1

Location: Helicarrier

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I sat near Skye as she and Ward played Battleship. I'm supposed to go against Ward after he finishes his game with Skye.

"G7," Skye said to him. I looked at Ward's board as he reluctantly said "Hit." He marked on the board as Skye celebrated a bit.

I smiled as I said "Good job." Me and her high fived. "So explain to me again what this has to do with training?" I asked him again. Skye leaned back.

"It's important for every S.O. to evaluate their student's thought process. And I like board games. B10," He said to her as he was trying to concentrate hard.

"Nope. This isn't thinking. This is stabbing in the dark, but it's nice to take a break from the workouts," Skye said to him as she grabbed some chips and ate them. I agreed. The workouts are starting to become unbearable.

"Well... you two deserve a break. I got to give Coulson credit. I would have never pegged an ex-Rising Tide hacker and some guy who fell from a portal as a good fit, but... you're picking things up pretty fast," He said to us.

Me and Skye looked at each other confused. Skye started grinning as she said, "Did you just give us a compliment?"

"I... no, I made a comment," Ward said, stuttering a little. "Sure," I said sarcastically to him. He shook his head as he and Skye kept playing. Next thing you know Skye shouted in victory as she won.

Ward looked shocked as he said "Best 2 out of 3." Skye was bragging in his face that she won. I laughed as she was smiling so big. A warm feeling came a bit in my heart.

"Best 2 out of 3," Ward said again to her. "Sorry bud, but it's my turn and I'm going to kick your ass," I said to him as Skye and I changed seats and I sat behind the battleship board.

I started setting up my board as Skye was still bragging about her win. Ward started setting up his board too until an alarm went off in the debrief room.

We made our way to the debrief room with everyone else coming in a little bit after. We stood by the table and a picture of a man appeared on the table.

"Chan Ho Yin. Just a struggling street performer until a few years ago, when Mr. Chan began to exhibit moderate pyrokinetic abilities," Coulson said to us.

"So what gave him powers?" Fitz asked him. We all looked at Coulson for the answer.

Coulson looked at us but said "It's still under investigation, but Chan did live near the decommissioned Wan Tai nuclear plant when it caught on fire. To our knowledge, no other nearby residents have exhibited similar traits."

"So how did we find out about him?" Simmons asked him. "Informants saw him lighting torches in a street show... with his pinkie," May said to us.

"Awesome," I whispered to Skye as she nodded at me. Coulson continued "Brought it to S.H.I.E.L.D.'s attention. We told him to keep his abilities under wraps. He's been on the index ever since."

"The Index?" Skye said, confused to him. Simmons said, "It's a list S.H.I.E.L.D keeps of people and objects with powers."

"Wait. What? How many are there? Are you saying there are more people?"Skye asked as she was getting excited. For once, I thought this was pretty cool too. A whole list filled with people and different powers.

"Not many," May said, trying to shut that idea down. Skye was still excited as I said "Well there's enough to make a list."

"A short list, meant to protect them," Coulson said to us. "Though in rare cases S.H.I.E.L.D. has had to take action."