epitaph, part 2

"There's... another thing I have to tell you as well."

"What is it?" I responded, fixing myself on the bed. Marinette sighed, messing with her fingers. "God, I really don't want to put this on your shoulders, you're in a fucking hospital bed."

She looked at the time, slightly frowning. "My parents are taking me to China for a few days or weeks, I don't know..."

This surprised me, to the point where the ECG machine started beeping faster. "You're Ladybug though, you can't just leave Paris!" I responded, whispering in a yelling manner.

Marinette looked towards the door, making sure nobody was there. "I know, that's the problem. My parents saw how many people were injured during today's attack and they were scared shitless when I didn't answer their calls, so we're going to stay with my aunt in China. Which is also why..."

Tikki came out of Marinette's purse, flying towards me. She started taking off her earrings, placing them in my hand. "Epitaph will make an appearance for the time being."

I looked at the earrings in my hand, staring back at her. "W-What my anime premiere? And Gabriel's collaboration? If an Akuma attack happens when I'm doing either of those things, I wouldn't be able to help Paris."

Marinette just smiled at me, standing up and walking towards the door. "You'll figure it out. I know you will... I have to go now, but Alya has already dropped off the Miraculous Box at your apartment."

"Alya?!" I interrupted, getting out of bed despite my body still aching a bit. She nodded her head. "Alya knows about me being Ladybug, so I told her you'll be taking my place in the mean time."

She said everything so nonchalantly. I couldn't wrap my mind around it. I was frozen for a good minute, overthinking everything. I ran out of the room, hoping to catch her, but it was too late already. She just left me with her earrings and the Miraculous box.

"Y/N! What are you doing out of bed?!" Adrien rushed over to me, holding a cup of coffee. I turned to look at him, not knowing what to say.

He looked down at my arm, letting out a distressed sigh. "How did you manage to rip off your IVs?!" He put an arm around my waist, about to walk me back to my room.

"Wait, I need to see Marinette again before she leaves, I have to ask her something!" I looked behind me, searching the room for her. "Marinette left a few seconds ago, and with all the paparazzi, I'm sure she's long gone..."

I cursed under my breath, looking back at him. He noticed my gaze, stopping in place. "Are you okay? You don't feel like you're going to fai-"

"A-Adrien! Y/N! Stay right there, that's a perfect picture!" An unknown voice came from the entrance. Both of us looked behind each other and saw paparazzi squeezing their way inside the hospital. The nurses and doctors quickly rushed towards the doors, pushing them out.

My aunt came into the hallway, rushing over to me. "Come on, let's get you back to the room." She pushed me back into the room, closing the door. Adrien came along, peeking out the blinds.

While he was doing that, my aunt started saying how I knew better than to get up from the bed while I was still recovering. I'm sure it was a long lecture, but being a temporary Ladybug filled my thoughts once more. All I could do was hope that I could fulfill the role.

next day, 1 pm

"There's also some leftovers in the fridge, heat them up later on tonight, okay?" My aunt's voice resonated in the kitchen. I nodded my head, poking my jello.

She was leaving to go do a 13-hour shift at a club she worked at. It's a Friday and they're severely understaffed, so they needed a lot of help.

She got everything in a hurry, kissing my cheek. "I really didn't want to you leave by yourself, but I have to... if anything, call that Gabriel Agreste's kid, Adrien, to come over! I like him, he's such a sweet young man!" She said, smiling. I smiled back at her. "Will do. Go before you're late, I'll be fine!"

She left in a hurry, leaving me alone in the condo. Tikki and Nezu came out from inside the cabinets, holding cookies. "How does she like Adrien but hate your 'boyfriend', Cat Noir..." Nezu mentioned, flying down to me. I shrugged my shoulders, getting up from the table.

"I have yet to figure that out. Besides the point, I have a lot of free time on my hands. Nathalie contacted me this morning saying that we'll do the official drawing of Adrien tomorrow, and the day after that will be the Gabriel's premiere. And then my publishing company said they'll give me. a week break until I get better. All I really have to do is patrol, right?"

Tikki nodded, taking another bite out of the cookie. "You can patrol now or do it later whe-"

"Since I have nothing else to do... Tikki, spots on!" I said, instantly transforming into Epitaph. Nezu took Tikki's cookie that she left behind. "You sure you're okay to move around? You can do it later, you know?" She mentioned.

I smiled at her, touching her cheek. "I'll be fine. I'm just going to fly around the city a bit and come back!" I walked to the balcony, latching my yo-yo on a building and launching off.

I scanned the city briefly, making sure nothing was out of order. Once I made sure everything was fine, landed on a building facing the school. I didn't go since I'm still recovering, but I just wanted to see if everyone was okay.

I inhaled and exhaled deeply, taking in the fresh air of Paris. "The view up here is nice." I murmured to myself.

"Sure is! You should come here more often, you know?" A very familiar voice appeared behind me. I quickly turned my head, being met with Cat Noir.

I stood up, shocked. "Cat Noir!" He smiled at me, waving. "Now you may be wondering, 'Why is Cat Noir here?! Isn't he supposed to be in class?!' Well, to answer that question, yes, but I am currently skipping my study hall! Don't worry, he never takes attendance in that class!"

I stared at him for a few seconds, looking back down at the school.

"Cat Noir... Is there any chance you attend that school down there?" I asked, pointing to it. He kept a smile on his face for a few seconds before looking at me in distraught. "What?! No, of course not! Anyway, what brings you here, Epitaph? I see you've taken temporary ownership of the Ladybug Miraculous again!"

I sat back down on the building, crossing my legs. "Uhh, just filling in for Ladybug while she's out sick, you know? Nothing too extreme."

He hummed, sitting next to me. Both of us stared down at the school. "You're a teenager who attends that school, aren't you?"

"Yup." He sighed in defeat, his cat ears falling down.