Chapter Five

**Harry’s POV**

It was one in the morning and Charlie still hadn’t left her room. The gang had agreed to stay the night because Charlie was family and family stick together during time of need. The only thing is, we weren’t so sure what the problem was. Shortly after she returned from her phone call, Charlie retired to the bedroom and we hadn’t heard from her since then.

“What do you thinks wrong with Charlie?” asked Niall, who was playing on his Nintendo.

“I’m not sure.”

“Think we should go and ask her?”

“Well, I would, but I feel like I’d be intruding.”

“But we need to make sure she’s okay. She needs to know we’re there for her,” Liam explained as he stood up from the sofa.

“I agree,” Louis joined him. “Zayn, you go make a cup of hot chocolate, Liam, you go in and see Charlie and then we’ll follow in shortly.”

**Charlie’s POV**

I sat in my room, my knees tucked under my chin. There’s a lump in my throat which I just cannot seem to get rid of. I wish I could just wake up from this nightmare, but there’s no escaping this one.  There was a knock on my door.

“Hey, Charlie,” Liam said softly.

“Hey…”

He came and sat on the end of my bed.

“Do you want to talk about what’s happened?”

“Not really,” I sighed.

 “Look, I know you’re upset, but you have to remember… we’re your friends. We’re here for you.”

“We always will be.” A voice added.

By now Louis had entered the room with Harry and Niall’s heads peeking through the doorway.

I smiled softly, but that soon faded.

“We also make great beverages.” Smiled Zayn, as he walked in with a cup of hot chocolate.

By now, the boys were surrounding me. Louis was practically lying in bed next to me, Harry sat with Liam and Niall and Zayn were sitting on the floor. They cared about me. Really cared. The least I could do was tell them what was wrong.

I took in a deep breath before beginning to explain.

“My dad was on a business trip in Milan for a month and… well, let’s just say the ‘business’ wasn’t just work related…”

The room sat in silence.

“…He had an affair with one of the women there and has left my mother. She’s turned to alcohol and drugs and now my family has torn.”  What I said felt like a pack of lies. Unfortunately, it was nothing but the goddamn truth.

**Harry’s POV**

As her shaky voice released the words I had least expected, I could see the pain from inside her release through her eyes. Charlie was hurt and there was nothing we could do.  Although I didn’t know her parents, it felt like a car had crashed into my stomach. She is like family to me and to see her not acting like her usual, lively person upsets me. A lot.  She blinked back the tears but I knew she was desperate to let them out.

 “Come here,” Louis embraced Charlie and held her close to his chest. 

“I don’t want to cry. I don’t want to show I’m weak.” She sniffed.

“It’s okay to cry. You have to let it out sometimes.”

She didn’t need to be asked twice. Tears trickled down her cheeks as she closed her eyes. She really was hurt. 

“I feel awful. I’ve completely ruined your night.”

“What do you mean?” I asked.

“You’ve just been nominated for the biggest music award in Britain and here I am, ruining it for you with my sob stories.”

“Don’t be ridiculous”. I put my hand on her knee for comfort. “Our career is just beginning, we’ll always have other chances and it hasn’t stopped us from being nominated. You need us right now and we would feel awful if we weren’t here, looking out for you.” 

She smiled slightly, but not for long.

“My cousin, Jenny, text me. She said she’s going to visit soon, if that’s okay?”

“Of course. We have the spare room set up.”

“Thanks. I just need someone from my family to talk about it with. I don’t think I can go to see my mother yet. Especially not alone.”

“Well don’t forget, we’re here and will be by your side every step of the way, if you want us to be,” Liam reassured. 

She smiled slightly again. It’s not much, but I swear we’ll always look out for Charlie. She means so much to us and seeing her hurt makes us feel hurt, too.