Chapter 7

Late that night, Sydney is tossing and turning in her sleep. She kept seeing herself getting shot, but in her dream she wasn't able to shoot back.

Sydney grabs her phone and calls Javonte. When he eventually answers the phone, Sydney asks him to her room.

"Can you come to my room. I could use someone in here with me", said Sydney.

"...can't sleep?", asked Javonte.

"No", said Sydney.

"Okay. I'm coming, give me a second", said Javonte.

"Alright", said Sydney.

Sydney hangs the phone up and turns the lamp on as she sits up.

Sydney walks to the bathroom and fixes her hair and makes sure her clothes are straightened. Suddenly someone knocks at the door.

Sydney walks to the door and opens it.

"We have to get up in like 3 hours", said Javonte. "And you mean to tell me you haven't slept yet?"

"I know, it's crazy", she said as she shut the door.

"What's going on?", asked Javonte.

"I just keep thinking about the fire and about us", said Sydney.

"Definitely don't let me keep you from sleeping", said Javonte.

"I think it has more so to do with me almost dying, thank you very much", said Sydney.

"Well how can I help?", asked Javonte.

"....remember when we were in college and my grandma died and I was crying all night?", asked Sydney.

"Yea, that was the year you had your own room. I stayed with you all night until you went to sleep", said Javonte.

"Can you do that?", asked Sydney.

"...yea", said Javonte.

Sydney walks to the bed and Javonte follows her. He turns the lamp off and hold her from behind.

"Comfortable?", he asked.

"Yea", she replied.

Sydney kept moving her legs against each other. The were restless.

Javonte touched her thigh so she'd know to calm down.

"It's okay", he whispered in her ear.

Sydney stopped moving her legs.

"Just calm down. Relax", he said. "Listen to the wind outside"

Sydney let out a deep breath as she closed her eyes. "Remember the dream I told you about on the plane...it actually happened", said Sydney. "That has to be sign. Am I going to die?"

"You're okay, you're in one body, you are secured...nothing is going to happen to you", said Javonte.

Sydney turns to face him.

Because of the light from outside, she could see his face and he could see her's.

"You good now?", asked Javonte.

"...gettin there", she said.

"What else can I do to make you ease your mind some?", he asked.

"You just being here is enough", said Sydney. "Thank you."

Sydney closes her eyes and Javonte continues to admire her. Sydney turns the other way having her back face him again. She didn't know that he was looking at her. She was just trying to get comfortable.