Chapter 33

Sydney took the car when she left the restaurant, leaving Javonte to find his own way home.

Sydney went straight to his mom's house.

"Where's Javonte?", asked his mom.

"Funny you should ask", said Sydney as she walked in. "I um...I left him at the restaurant. I just came to get my kids."

"Woah, wait. What happened?", asked his mom.

"I just can't do it...I thought I knew what I was doing but I don't. I love Javonte with all of my heart but...", said Sydney.

"It's okay. I understand", said his mom. "Did you get my message?"

"Yea. I forgot to pack it. I thought Von texted you back for me", said Sydney.

"No. He didn't", said his mom. "I was giving Xavier a bath and noticed some bruises on his back."

"Oh my gosh", Sydney mumbled to herself.

"But he's finally asleep right now and I don't wanna wake him", said his mom.

"Well he's going to have to because I have to take him with me.", said Sydney as she walked toward the hallway.

"What happened with you and Javonte?", asked his mom.

"I made a mistake to push this relationship on him. He wasn't ready and he knew it...I even knew it but I didn't want to accept it.", said Sydney. "I could take the hits. He never hit me that hard, I've felt worst. I mean of course I didn't deserve it but if it meant that one day he'd be better and be the guy that I fell in love with...then it'd be worth it...but what it comes to my children...I don't settle for that. I don't. I'm sorry."

"You don't have to apologize to me...I was in your predicament..remember? I'm sorry that I couldn't raise him to be the guy that you...well you thought he was.", said his mom. "Only difference between me and you is you can leave...I couldn't."

"Mrs. Davis? Von...Von told me that the only way I can leave him is if I kill him. He literally handed the gun to me and showed me where the shoot. I don't want to do that... but if I have to then—"

Sydney stopped talking because she tried to hold her cry back.

His mom looked down then looked at Sydney.

"All Von ever wanted to do is protect people. Especially the ones he loves. He protected you and he wants you to protect yourself if he can't.", said his mom.

"So you know what Von did?... to his dad?", asked Sydney.

His mom nods. "Yes...and I didn't tell anymore because the same way he protected me, is the same way I needed to protect him."  Said his mom.

"...in the event that I needed to get away from Von...I brought a safe house. I'm taking the children and I'm leaving to go there. Meaning I can't be in touch with anyone. At least not anyone that he knows that I know. He had every resource at the tip of his fingers to find me and I can't have that happen.", said Sydney. "Von...he needs to get better before anything can continue. So please help him if you can... please."

His mom nods.

"Okay sweetheart", said his mom.

"I need to get out of here", said Sydney. "I'm going to get the kids."

Sydney walks down the hallway to the get the kids. Sayora was still awake but Xavier is still asleep. She picked Xavier up and told Sayora to follow her. The three of them left.

After a while, Javonte's mom got a phone call from Javonte.

"Hello?", said his mom.

"Hey mom", said Javonte. "Kids okay?"