Chapter 42

Sydney is eating some wings in her hotel room before she and Javonte go out to stake out a house.

She hears someone knocking at the door and gets up. She looks out of the peak hole and sees Shawn. She expected it to be Javonte.

Sydney opens the door.

"Hey what are you doing here?", asked Sydney.

"I know I shouldn't be here but I couldn't help it", said Shawn.

Sydney let's him inside.

"You ever dream about something you don't want to happen?", asked Shawn.

"Yea. I had a dream about me almost dying and well a couple of weeks later I actually almost died so...", said Sydney.

"Yea. See that's why I came. Not because of that but because of my dream", said Shawn.

"What exactly was your dream Shawn?", asked Sydney.

"...you and Javonte", said Shawn.

"I've told you countless of times because of this very moment that there is and will be nothing going on between Von and I", said Sydney.

"I get it. But you gotta see where I'm coming from. But I've been told that many of times and have been lied to, Syd.", said Shawn.

"...well...if you think I'm lying...should you really be with me then?", asked Sydney.

"I feel like I can trust you...but the side of me that has been betrayed can't", said Shawn.

"...you know what I understand how you feel. I felt like that for years", said Sydney. "But with you...it's different."

Shawn smiles a little. "I'm glad you feel that way about me", he said.

"Yea...I just hope that some day you'll feel the same about me", said Sydney.

Shawn kissed her forehead.

"You know what, I'm trippin'. I don't wanna be a distraction so I'll just get out of your hair", said Shawn.

"I mean like you might as well stay. You've came all this way", said Sydney.

"...if you want", said Shawn.

"I don't mind. But I will be leaving you in a few. We have to go stake out a house", said Sydney. "So you can leave my side of the bed warm."

"Will do", he said.

As Sydney is about to close the door, Javonte walks up to the door so they can go.

Javonte looks at Shawn.

"I knew it", said Javonte. "His ass was outside earlier."

Shawn makes a face.

"What?", asked Shawn.

"Man don't play with me", said Javonte before he looked at Sydney. "I told you it something up with him. He clingy and not in a good way. He came here to see if you were doing something you had no business doing. One sign of a controlling ass nigga."

"Oh so you tryna warn her about me when in reality it ain't nothing to warn her about because you don't fucking know me like that nigga.", said Shawn.

Sydney could tell that Shawn was getting upset and she didn't want anything

"Guys please.", said Sydney.

"Nah, because he wants you and you know it. Im not tryna dictate your life but some shit gotta change. No man and I mean no man, would like the fact that y'all are partners and used to have feelings for each other.", said Shawn. "Am I wrong?"

"Man if you don't—"

"No", said Sydney. "You're not wrong."

Javonte looks at Sydney.

"Von...I didn't wanna talk about this right now. I was going to wait until after we finished the case but...I think it's best that we aren't partners anymore", she said.

"...really? For this fool that you just met?", asked Javonte.

"Shawn can you step outside for me?", asked Sydney.

"Um...yea", said Shawn.

Shawn walks outside of the room and the door shuts behind him.

"No. This has nothing to do with him and everything to do with you and me... I can't do this anymore", said Sydney. "Like I said before it's nothing to talk about to clear the air...it's just something I have to shake off. I was thinking about this before today. I've been thinking about this for the past week."

"...I don't— I don't blame you", said Javonte. "....Yasmin told me not to be your partner anymore but I told her no...you're apart of my life and she gotta deal with that...but I guess we're different"

"Yea. We are. Maybe you can control your emotions but I can't. The more I'm around you the more I lov— the more I realize that we will never be. The more I wonder what if and I don't focus on anybody else. So yes, we're different. Are you still my best friend and will we still communicate? Yes...but I can't be your partner", said Sydney.

"...well I guess the faster we end this case, the faster you can get that right?" said Javonte.

"Don't be like this Von", she whined. "Please."

"Nah nah, I'm good. Like I told you before...I just want you at your happiest", said Javonte. "Ain't like I won't see or talk to you anymore"

"...let's go", said Sydney before she opened the door.

Shawn looks at them.

"Everything good?", asked Shawn.

"It will be", said Sydney. "Thanks for asking."

Sydney kisses his cheek and walks past time.

"Like you give a fuck", said Javonte under his breath as he walked past Shawn.

"Can't get every girl that you want", said Shawn.

Javonte ignored him and continued walking.

TO BE CONTINUED....