Chapter 47

A few days later Sydney went to work. She was in a bit of a rush because she had to drop Sayora off at her dad's house first. She made it to work, right on time.

"Damn, one thing about you. You're going to run late but you always going to be on time", said Javonte as he sat at his desk.

Sayora shook her head and continued walking to her desk. She scanned the room for Shawn but she didn't see him. She logs into her computer and takes a sip of her Starbucks coffee.

Shawn walks up to her.

"Good morning, stranger", said Shawn.

"You don't have to call me that. I texted you yesterday when you said good morning...and good afternoon and good night.", said Sydney.

"Yea...and I texted you again this morning", said Shawn.

"Shawn I was in a rush this morning. I saw your text and forgot to respond.", said Sydney.

"You still have been giving me dry ass text messages yesterday", said Shawn.

"I thought I said I wanted to be alone anyway", said Sydney.

Shawn didn't say anything.

"I didn't mean any harm by that I just—"

Shawn walks away.

Sydney sighs. She didn't wanna cause a scene so she just let him be.

She was starting to see why her gut told her to slow down. He was a little overbearing like Javonte said. Even when she wanted her space, he wasn't giving that to her really. She didn't think the texts were a bad thing but at the same time I might not be a good thing either.

Sydney puts her cup down and checks her emails.

One of Sydney's coworkers come walking to her to ask her a question.

As they talked Shawn is watching them. The coworker was the type to flirt with all of the girls there and Shawn knew that. Sydney and the coworker began laughing so Shawn walked over.

"Hey man. Mind if I talk you real quick?", asked Shawn.

Sydney looks at Shawn then at their coworker.

"Yea man. Sydney thanks for the advice by the way", said their coworker.

"No probably, just don't say what you were going to say. Say what I said instead", said Sydney.

"Gotcha", said their coworker.

He walks away with Shawn and they began to talk.

Sydney watched them for a moment. She noticed their coworker look at Sydney for a quick second so she knew Shawn was talking about her.

Sydney shook her head and replied to a few emails.

After work, Sydney went to the bar for a couple of drinks and some food. While she sipped from her drink and waited for her food, she began to look around. Although the average person would've over looked the fact that Shawn was there with his back facing her, Sydney did not.

Sydney drank whatever was left from her glass and told the bartender she'd be right back.

Sydney walked to Shawn. He had on a hoodie and a baseball cap. Sydney sat in front of him to see his face.

Shawn looks away and shakes his head.

"You do realize I'm a protector of the country right? I don't think anything can really get past me. Except for some of the things Sayora does. She's sneaky", said Sydney with a smile.

Shawn looks at her.

"You waiting for somebody?", asked Shawn.

"I intended to be her by myself. I'm not seeing someone else.", said Sydney. "But that does matter. That's besides the point. If you could follow one simple request. Then I think you need to loose my number and we need to end things where it's at. Have a nice night."

Sydney stands up and begins to to back to the bar but Shawn grabs her arm.

"I've done nothing but treat you good Sydney", said Shawn.

"Yes, you've treated me good and I appreciate that. But that doesn't change the fact that you can't give me any space. That doesn't change the fact that I don't wanna be with someone who has to lurk to see my every move ", said Sydney.

"I just— you know what you're right. I'm sorry. I'll stop", said Shawn.

"How about you let go of my arm", said Sydney.

"Are you going to leave me?", asked Shawn.

"Yes", said Sydney.

"Why do you have to do this?", asked Shawn as his grip got tighter.

"Shawn, I'll taser you", said Sydney.

"I can handle a taser baby", said Shawn.

"Well the next best, I'll shoot you", said Sydney.

"In front of all these people Sydney? Let's be realistic here", said Shawn.

"Thank you for saying that. I can make a scene instead.", said Sydney.

Shawn loosens his grip and Sydney jerks away and walks back to the bar and sits down.

Shawn leaves.

TO BE CONTINUED...