Chapter 39

"Shawn", said Sydney as she giggled.

Shawn is standing behind her with his arms around her, helping her with her form.

"I think you wanted to go mini golf to get close to me like this", said Sydney.

"Damn, you catch on good", he said.

"...lucky for you...I like it", she said.

Shawn helps Sydney hit the ball and she gets it in the hole.

"See, it was that easy", he said.

Sydney smiled.

"I can't believe you never went mini golfing", said Shawn.

"Well...I became an adult at 16 when I got pregnant so...after that I was more focused on having a good life for my daughter than to have fun.", said Sydney.

Shawn nods. "I get that. That's understandable", he said. "A lot changed for me when I found out I was going to a father. I mean like I was 20 so I was older than you but still...I had to become more mature and think about life more in depth and not live day by day."

"I'm glad to see that you've became a better person for your child. Some people don't even do the basics", said Sydney. "I mean my ex does. I'm just referring to other people."

"Yea. I know", he said.

"I know you're raising her into a good girl... I look forward to meeting her one day", said Sydney.

"Meeting her? You know that's only if we get serious", said Shawn. "And at this point, it seem like you don't want that."

"Yea and I'm hoping we do. I'm tired of wasting my time with people who don't want to amount to anything. With people who isn't in the same mindset as me", she said.

Shawn smirks. "Well then, I guess we should make that happen.", he said.

Sydney's phone begins to vibrate.

"It's your turn", said Sydney as she took her phone out of her pocket.

Shawn watched her as she answered.

"Yes?", she said. "...I told you I'll call you when I get home, I'm a little occupied right now... no..."

Sydney starts laughing a little.

Shawn walks to his ball, looking at her every now and then.

"Okay...alright...you know since when did you become my dad?...see you tomorrow...bye", said Sydney.

Sydney smiled and hangs up.

"I don't mean to be nosey but I tend to pay attention to detail", he said. "...you and Von ever have something going on?"

"No", said Sydney.

"Nothing?", he asked.

"Why do you ask? I mean like...I know why you ask but what makes you think that?", asked Sydney.

"I don't know. Y'all just close", said Shawn.

Sydney kind of chuckled to herself.

"You know what, Shawn. I see where this is going and if you wanna start this early then I know it's going to be—"

"Wait wait, what are you talking about?", asked Shawn. "I just asked a question."

"No we never had anything going on", said Sydney.

"So why you get so defensive?", asked Shawn.

"I'm not. I just thought you were going to start with the other dictating who I talk to", said Sydney. "Even though Javonte and I have been friends for years and nothing has even happened. Because we're just really good friends."

Shawn nods.

"Can I ask you this? If we do get serious and I treat you the best of the best...who'd come first?", he asked.

Sydney made a face.

"The only reason why I ask is because I'm trying to spend some quality time with you but every time he texts, you text back. Maybe it's just me but I feel like it's kinda rude. Like you rather talk to someone else", said Shawn.

"He's getting married soon...why would I chase someone who I will never have a future with. I'm not even interested in him", said Sydney. "And if me and you do get serious and you're treating me right then you'd come first. And I apologize. You're right it's rude and I wouldn't want you doing that to me."

"It's okay", said Shawn. "Sydney we've been talking for a little over a week and well...I don't even if there has even been a day that I didn't look forward to talking to you. Even though you've been a little strict with ya boy...I'm starting to like you."

"Shawn I look forward to getting the chance to get to know you better because the way you act...your maturity is a big thing because you seem to know what you want and I love that.", said Sydney.

Shawn looks to the side then he looks down.

"Yea...", he said before looking at her. "I just wanna make sure you know what you want before I get my hopes up. That's all."

"I'm ready if you are", said Sydney.

"I'm more than ready", said Shawn.

Sydney smiles.

"Your smile is so beautiful", said Shawn.

"Thank you", said Sydney. "Let's continue to play and get something to eat."

"Alright", said Shawn.

———-

A couple of weeks later, Sydney and Javonte are talking about a new case that they are assigned to.

"This guy is out here killin' people left and right", said Sydney. "He has so many different names under his belt. James Williams, Jake Morris, Leon Scott, the list goes on and on."

"Right now he's going by Hunter Jenkins", said Javonte. "In Los Angeles, California."

"Long as he doesn't come here. I don't need to be worried about my kid 24/7", said Sydney.

"Hey y'all", said Shawn.

Sydney and Javonte look at him.

"What's up", said Javonte.

"Hey", said Sydney with a smile. "Your tie is a bit crooked."

"Oh", said Shawn as he tired to fix it. "I was in a rush this morning.

Sydney stood up.

"Let me help you", said Sydney as she begins to fix his tie.

Shawn glances at Javonte and he could tell Javonte felt some type of way even though Javonte wasn't looking at them.

"Javonte, I saw you in the ring yesterday with Luke. You gotta show me that move you did", said Shawn.

Sydney was done fixing Shawn's tie so she sat back down.

"Thank you, baby", he said.

"You're welcome", said Sydney.

"Yea I can show you", said Javonte.

"Cool", said Shawn. "Syd, I'll see you later for dinner."

"Okay", said Sydney.

Shawn walks away.

"Baby?", Javonte asked. "Did he just call you baby?"

"We made things official yesterday", said Sydney.

"Wow", said Javonte.

"What?", asked Sydney.

"Nothing. I'm just not used to this", said Javonte. "I'm happy for you though."

"...thanks", said Sydney.

"Mhm", said Javonte as he looks at his computer.

Sydney continued to look at him for a moment then she looked at her computer.

TO BE CONTINUED...