Chapter 24

After going out to eat, they all came back home and went to bed. Well everyone except for Javonte. He stayed downstairs.

After an hour or two of laying in bed by herself, Sydney got up and went downstairs to check on Javonte. He had an Hennessy bottle in his hand.

"Von?", she said.

She was hoping that he wasn't drunk but by the looks of what was left in the bottle, she could tell that he was.

"Go back to the room", said Javonte.

"I am but I just wanted to check on you", said Sydney.

Javonte took a swig of the alcohol.

Sydney looks down.

"Take yo ass back down the hall, I ain't gonna say it again", said Javonte in a stern voice.

"Javonte...I think that's enough drinking for the night", she said in a nice.

"And I think they that baby needs to dead like his damn daddy by Wednesday", said Javonte.

"I just wanna give this baby a life that's all", said Sydney.

"Nah, if I let you have that baby, you aren't going to want to give it up. But I'll be damn if you don't so let's just avoid that while we're ahead", said Javonte. "Feal?"

Sydney looks to the side.

"Do we have a deal?!", he asked loudly.

Sydney jumped a little.

"Okay", she said.

"Good", said Javonte.

Sydney walked back to their room. Javonte has been getting drunk every now and then since the night Sydney almost died. He blamed himself. He kept telling her to go in the room because he didn't want to do anything to her if she said the wrong thing. He wasn't in control of his actions.

Sydney laid in the bed and cried quietly to herself. She hated the fact that she got raped but she was glad she didn't have to be conscious for it but at the same type just the thought of a stranger inside of her was terrifying. She was lucky that she didn't caught any diseases but she was stuck with a baby. She wanted Javonte to come to bed and hold her. That always made her feel better when she was lost in her thoughts, but he was too busy being lost in his own thoughts.

Javonte takes another swig of his alcohol and sits the bottle down. His vision was blurry, he was seeing double. But he knew that he wouldn't be able to think about how he failed Sydney and that's what he wanted.

The following morning, Javonte is getting ready for work.

"...you sure you wanna go to work with a hang over?", asked Sydney.

"I'll be fine", he said.

Sydney shook her head as she looked away.

Javonte begins brushing his teeth.

"This isn't going to be an every night thing is it?", asked Sydney. "You know I hate going to bed alone while you're in the living room drinking your health away."

Javonte finishes brushing his teeth.

"You taking Sayora home today so you can get an abortion?", asked Javonte.

Sydney looks down.

"Sydney...we talked about this", said Javonte.

"No. You did the talking. I didn't have a say", she said softly.

"Because it was the best decision", said Javonte. "You abort it and we don't have to worry about you falling in love with it and not giving it up when it's born."

Sydney looks Javonte.

"Fine...fine I'll do it today.", said Sydney.

"Thank you", said Javonte.

"Maybe then you can finally touch me. Maybe then you won't look at me in disgust", she said as she teared up. She sounded more angry than sad.

Javonte looks down for a moment.

"I'm about to get dressed", he said before shutting the bathroom door.

Sydney starts crying a little bit then she calms herself down.

Her marriage just started and it was already hard. Javonte was strong minded so even when she tried to win an argument she couldn't. Not only that but they were both hating their own selves right now. The only difference was that Javonte wanted to be alone to deal with it and Sydney just wanted someone to at least talk to about it or when just hold her and sit in silence. She just wanted someone there. She wanted company, not space.

Sydney stands up and walks out of the room to check on Sayora.

Sayora is awake and on her iPad.

"You're up early on that thing", said Sydney.

"Yea..and I'm hungry", said Sayora.

"When are you never hungry. You're always hungry", said Sydney. "What do you want?"

"Waffles", said Sayora. "With strawberries"

"Okay", said Sydney. "Coming right up."

Sydney walks out of the her room and into the kitchen. She gets some pans out to cook food for herself and then she gets the waffle maker out. She gets the food out of the fridge and that's when she hears Javonte walk in but she doesn't look at him.

Sydney grabs an egg out of the carton and that's when she feels Javonte put his hands on her waist.

"You're not disgusting", said Javonte.

"I get that you feel this guilt that you couldn't protect me but I'm the one that had to go through it.", she said as she turned around. "The least you can do it is not sit around and get drunk when you're off."

"I'm sorry—"

"I don't wanna hear that. I don't", said Sydney. "I just want you to do. I want you to be here for me. I've been doing the things that you want. I quit my job to ease your mental, I'm getting an abortion because I understand how you feel right now. You don't want me to go through a pregnancy and watch that pregnancy and the baby isn't even yours. But last night....all I wanted for you was to get in bed and you couldn't even do that. It's been a month. Sometimes you're here, and I don't mean physically here I mean like being involved being present and known...and most of the time you haven't been."

"I'm trying", said Javonte.

"I'm trying...I'm trying to keep this marriage going but it's hard when you're feeling like you're single all over again", said Sydney. "Alone. I feel alone"

Javonte looks at his watch then at Sydney.

"When I come back home...things will be different. I promise.", said Javonte.

"Yea...because the abortion will be done by then.", said Sydney.

Javonte kisses her forehead.

"I'm late. I don't wanna argue", said Javonte.

"We're talking", said Sydney.

"Nah because it's going to turn into an argument and I got a lot of anger built up and I don't want hit you. I don't wanna hurt you if you say the wrong thing.", said Javonte.

"Anger toward me?", asked Sydney.

"Nah. Him. It's one thing to lay a finger on you but he—"

Javonte stops himself.

"..I have to go. Be safe", said Javonte.

Sydney turns back around and continues cooking.

Javonte looks at her for a moment then leaves.

TO BE CONTINUED...