Chapter 38

"I've been talking to this guy and—"

"Wait, Woah. Talking? To a guy?", asked Lydia.

Sydney rolled her eyes. "Oh please. Whatever.", said Sydney.

"I'm just saying...you never give anybody a chance because you were too busy waiting for what's his name", said Lydia.

"I'm done with that. I mean like he does feel the same way but we both came to the agreement that friends are better for us. Besides I had this crazy ass dream that—"

"Girl, I know you ain't talking about no dream. Is that why you told him things would be better as friends? Because a dream?", asked Lydia.

"In my defense, I have a lot of dreams that come true. The house fire for example. I had a dream about getting smash by something and it happened in real life.", said Sydney. "...besides I just think we've been friends this long for a reason."

"I guess....I mean like he's engaged so yea. Leave that alone and move on", said Lydia. "Who's this new guy?"

"He works with me. His name is Shawn", said Sydney.

"He works with you? Girl, that is going to be awkward once you call it quits with him. How long have been talking?", asked Lydia.

"A couple of weeks", said Sydney.

"Oh he must be top notch then. I never heard you talk to a dude for more than 3 days", said Lydia.

Sydney starts laughing.

"I'm so serious", said Lydia.

"I know", said Sydney. "That's why I laughed."

"So...what is it about him?", asked Lydia.

"...he makes me feel...less alone. I don't mean physically. I just mean mentally...I've always felt like an outcast. I felt like nobody wanted anything to do with me. Around him it's just...I feel this connection. A good one. We have so much in common. Something similar to Javonte but Shawn isn't playing with my feelings ya know.", said Sydney.

"Yea", said Lydia.

"But like you said, he's the past. Well technically there never was a thing between me and him but a girl could hope ya know", said Sydney.

Lydia looked down for a moment.

"I know how mom was with you growing up. Especially after dad left and...and I know that you probably want that love that she didn't give you but don't go waiting for the love from somebody else. Let that love come to you and embrace you for once", said Lydia.

Sydney looks away as she nods.

"This is why I love you", she said as she looked at Lydia. "You always tell me some good advice."

"Anytime, anywhere", said Lydia.

Sydney gets a text message from Shawn.

"That's him", said Sydney. "I'm going to get going."

"Don't judge him too bad", said Lydia. "Nobody is perfect"

"Not even me. Yea I know. Talk to you later.", said Sydney.

Sydney walks out of the house and gets into her car.

This was Shawn and Sydney's first time going on a date and first time hanging out since they had a drink at the lounge. The past couple of weeks they have been talking on the phone or at work because they were busy with other things.

Sydney pulled up to the location of their date, which was mini golf. Once Sydney got out of the car, she looked around for Shawn as she walked through the parking lot.