Chapter 44

when the suspect ran outside, Shawn tackled him to the ground.

"You're under arrest for mass murder and evading arrest. You have the right to remain silence", said Shawn as he hand cuffed the guy. "Anything you say or do will held against you in the court of law."

Shawn stands him up and walks him to the car.

Sydney comes running outside and sees Shawn and the guy. She felt relief that he caught her.

"Thank you agent", said Sydney. "How did you get here so fast?"

"I was already outside", said Shawn.

"I need to go help everyone inside", said Sydney.

She rushed back into the building.

"To everyone that had as little as a sip of wine, I would like to say that unfortunately youve drugged with some type of substance. Medical attention is coming. I do not recommend driving.", said Sydney. "I assure you that—"

Someone drops to the floor and everybody looks at them.

Javonte runs to the person.

"Sir?", he called. "What's his name?"

"Paul", his wife called.

Paul is unresponsive.

Javonte checks his pulse and he didn't feel an heart beat.

His wife got on her knees and touched him. "Paul", she cried.

"Ma'am what time did the both of you arrive? And did you guys drink your first glass upon your arrival?", asked Javonte.

"We got here kind of early. About 6 o'clock", said the wife. "We got our first glass the moment we walked in. That's when they offered one."

Javonte looks at the time. It was 7:30.

"So those of you who sipped their first glass within the last thirty minutes, urgently go to the nearest emergency department. The rest stay and wait for emergency services to arrive", said Javonte.

"I'm supposed to stay and wait to die??", asked one of the guest.

"Man, if something happens to you. I rather it just be you than other people on the road if you die behind the wheel. Sorry to be blunt but it's the truth", said Javonte.

Sydney walks up to Javonte and pulls him to the side.

"We got him. We arrested him", said Sydney.

"Good. What did he put in these drinks?", asked Javonte.

"He didn't say", said Sydney.

"Damn. How in the hell are we supposed to help these people if we don't know what were in the drinks?", asked Javonte.

"That's what I'm saying", said Sydney.

"Who is we?", asked Javonte.

"Well he got away from me but Shawn arrested him", said Sydney.

"Shawn's been here this whole time?", asked Javonte.

"Yes because he was assigned to be one of our backups since he's down here", said Sydney. "But it's a good thing he was here. We almost lost Steward."

"Yea I guess", said Javonte.

"Look, I get it. You guys aren't on the best of terms right now but...I hate the fact that one important guy in my life doesn't like the another guy that can be an important guy in my life.", said Sydney.

"I thought me and we're cool until he said his little remark last night", said Javonte.

"What remark?, asked Sydney.

"Talking about how I can't get every girl I want. I'm not even trying to get with you", said Javonte.

"Look I'm going to talk to him when we all get back. We all work together, we don't need to be distant and harsh to each other", said Sydney.

"I agree...but ole boy territorial over you already.", said Javonte.

"No he isn't", said Sydney. "He came here, yea. But—"

"Not to your face. He hasn't been territorial to your face. When you and I talk, he lurking. In the gym the other day, he came because you and I were there. He left after you left. That man ain't wanna work out. Then here he comes here just to see if we messing around", said Javonte. "It's been a month Sydney. It's only been a month and this man doing all this? You need to rethink who you with."

Sydney looks down.

"How was I supposed to know how he was when he doesn't do this stuff to my face? He does it slickly", said Sydney. "But since you pointed that out for me then...I'll have to talk to him. Maybe end things with him because I cant handle that if you're right."

"I know I'm right", said Javonte.

Sydney sighs. "But until then, let's make sure everybody is okay and stays okay", said Sydney.

Sydney walks past him and to the guests.

———

After everything was settled, they went back to the hotel.

"Five people died tonight", said Sydney. "I can't believe this."

"...look on the bright side. It wasn't everybody", said Shawn.

Sydney looks at him.

"A few casualties are better that everyone being a casualty", said Shawn.

"You're right... Shawn about what you said earlier...you know the whole insecurities thing? I get that completely. I understand you're trying to trust and it's hard because of your past relationships...I get that...but I am the most loyal person there is because I understand that betrayal feeling and I would wish that on nobody. Von and I are just friends...nothing more. Will never be anything more. He is apart of my life and he will continue to be apart of my life. I just want you guys to like each other for who you and he is as a person rather than to not like each other because of me.", said Sydney.

"...I like Von. He's cool....I guess I like my jealousy get the best of me and apologize. I'm really sorry.", said Shawn.

"It's okay", said Sydney. "But I think it'll be nice to apologize to him too."

"I will", said Shawn.

"Thank you", said Sydney.

"Anything for you", said Shawn as he touched her waist.

Sydney looks at his hands.

"Maybe to ease the tension...we can continue where he left off the other day", said Shawn.

"Maybe we should", she said as she smiled slightly.

Shawn begins kissing her but before they could go any further. Her phone begins ringing.

She pulls away and looks at her phone. It was their boss.

"I have to take that", said Sydney.

Sydney puts her phone up and answers it.

"Sydney Parker speaking", said Sydney.

"Parker, I need to talk to you and Davis.", said their boss.

"Okay, just a second. I have to go to his room", said Sydney.

Sydney puts the phone on mute.

"I'll be back. Hopefully", said Sydney.

"Okay", said Shawn.

Sydney walks out of the room.

Shawn sighs and sits down in a chair.

TO BE CONTINUED...