Chapter 28

"Mom", said Javonte.

"Von, don't be hittin' on that girl!", his mom said.

"Mom?", he said.

"You can't do that and expect that girl to always stay", said his mom.

"Mom, I didn't touch her. I don't know who's tell you this but—"

"Her sister. Don't sit here and lie to me boy. I did not raise you to abuse women", said his mom.

"Maybe dad did", said Javonte.

"Your father was hard on you, yes but—"

"It ain't no buts about the things he did, mom. I had whelps on my body, a dislocated arm twice, mom don't let me continue the list.", said Javonte. "Not only mention me but he hit you too."

"And did you like him doing that?", asked his mom.

"No. But guess what? As a child that had to endure that and behavior is learned. Growing up I didn't care how I acted because I thought that was normal. Hell I can't beat my daddy but I can be beat anybody else who thinks they can disrespect right? No. I had to learn that it wasn't okay and when I was finally getting better, Yasmin brought it back out. I- I'm not trying to be that person to Sydney. I don't want to. I love her", said Javonte.

"Then why hit her?", asked his mom.

"I didn't", said Javonte.

"You know what. I'm going to take this lie and let you run with it. But I will say this...she may love you but she isn't going to put up with that forever", said his mom.

"If dad didn't die, you'd still be with him", said Javonte.

"I would because it was either get beat on here and there or I get killed. I chose my life. He was crazy...but I was too blind to see that. All the red flags there but I didn't listen. All because of love", said his mom. "I didn't raise you to be like him but I know her raised you to be like him and I'm so sorry. But you had a life to fulfill and I was not going to leave you all alone."

Javonte looks down.

"Don't be like that okay?", said his mom. "Please."

"I'm not. Im far from him mom", he said.

"...I should go before Sydney gets back", said his mom.

"Alright", said Javonte.

"Be good to her...she's being good to you right?", asked his mom.

Javonte nods. "She's great...patient and understanding."

"That's good...", his mom said. "Have a nice rest of your day."

"You too", said Javonte.

His mom leaves.

Javonte sighs as he sits back and things to himself.

Later that evening, Sydney finally came back home to Javonte cleaning his guns.

"About time", he said under his breath.

Sydney looks at the guns then at him.

"I gotta ask you something", said Javonte. "Did you tell Lydia?"

"No? Why?", asked Sydney.

"You sure?", he asked.

"Positive", said Sydney.

Javonte nods. "Okay", said Javonte as he finally looked at her. "Come here, let me see something."

Sydney walks to him.

Javonte hands her a gun.

"Hold it right", said Javonte. "It ain't no bullets in there."

Sydney holds the gun as she points it to the floor.

Javonte lifts her arm up so the gun his pointed at his head.

"If I become too much for you....this is where I want you to shoot", said Javonte.

Sydney puts the gun down.

"What?", she asks.

"If I become too much, I want you to kill me. Not disable me. I want you to kill me.", said Javonte.

"Wh-" Sydney couldn't even get her words out. She didn't know what to think or to say. She was kind of scared.

"I don't wanna be like somebody I used to know", said Javonte.

"The only person you can be like is you", said Sydney as she sat next to him. "And you are trying to be the best man you can be day by day. So stop talking negatively."

Javonte's eyes waters a little as he looks away.

"You're my backbone, you motivate me to be a better man....but one day I can become someone that you don't know.", he said before looking at her.

"You won't", she said as she touched his cheek. "We got this. You got this. Im going to help you every step of the way. I swear to you. Like you said I gotta be patient...I'm being patient with you and I'm going to continue to do that. I love you too much to let this go."

"I don't want you to love me so much that you don't know when to stop", said Javonte.

"I can never stop loving you", said Sydney. "I made a vow to you and I intend on keeping it."

"...I love you so much", said Javonte.

"Not as much as I love you", said Sydney.

Javonte begins kissing her and her takes her upstairs.

TO BE CONTINUED....