Chapter 43

Sydney and Javonte are in the cut, hiding out in a van.

They haven't talked since the hotel room. They have been staking out their suspect for 20 minutes so far.

"Von, I just wanna say that I understand what you were saying earlier and I'm sorry about acting like you were crazy", said Sydney.

"Oh so now that a nigga wanna pop up, you wanna think about what I was saying?", asked Javonte.

"Von...I'm still going to give him the benefit of the doubt. He suspected that we had something going on. We came here on our own so maybe he wanted to see if something happens between us. I mean like he didn't even have to let me know he was here but he did. I really don't think he means any harm", said Sydney.

"He showed himself to make sure nobody comes into your room", said Javonte. "Let's be real."

Sydney looks down.

"My dad was a narcissist. My dad knew how to manipulate situations to get what he wanted.", said Javonte.

"He isn't your dad, Von. Not every guy is your dad. I mean like...are you your dad?", asked Sydney.

"No. I'd never be him", said Javonte. "I put my hands on Yasmin once but I never did it since. It's been a year or so. It took me so long to forgive myself after that...I hate that man. My mom raised me not to be anything like him."

"...she gave you the benefit of the doubt...I'm going to give Shawn the benefit of the doubt too", said Sydney.

"Be my guest", said Javonte. "I don't wanna talk about that anymore. I need to concentrate and so do you."

Sydney puts the binoculars to her eyes and continues to be on look out.

————

When Sydney got back to her room, Shawn was asleep. She began taking off her clothes to put on something more comfortable to sleep in.

While she searched her suitcase. She felt hands touch her waist. This caused her to jump a little.

"Damn, Shawn. You scared me", said Sydney. "I didn't even hear you get up."

"I heard you taking off your clothes. I saw what was under and I couldn't resist", said Shawn before kissing her neck.

Sydney moved her neck.

"Not tonight or shall I say morning. Im really tired", said Sydney.

Shawn looks at her for moment before moving his hands away from her.

"Let me guess...you having second thoughts", said Shawn.

"No. I'm just tired", said Sydney.

"Oh...I'm sorry", he said.

"It's okay. I don't blame you for saying that", said Sydney.

Shawn walks back to the bed and gets in the bed.

Sydney finishes putting some clothes on and lays in the bed next to him.

Shawn puts his arm around her.

Sydney had been feeling down all night, so the touch and warmth from him made her feel a whole lot better. She didn't like the fact that Javonte was mad with her, but at the same time she just needed that bit of separation in order to get over Javonte and fall for someone else.