Chapter 32

Sydney and Javonte are currently on their dinner date. They both were dressed nice to met the dress code of restaurant.

"You're so beautiful", said Javonte.

"I know", said Sydney.

"Order whatever", said Javonte.

Javonte and Sydney begin to look at the menu. Sydney begins to look at Javonte but not noticeably.

"...I'm glad you're going back to work", said Javonte.

"Really?", she asked.

"Yea", said Javonte. "I can be an asshole sometimes and I'm sorry. Your job was something you were always passionate and it was wrong for me to make you quit in the first place. It was just always the fear of losing you, that forced you to do something that you didn't want to do."

"Well...I mean one of the reason why I quit was you but another was because of what happened at the time", said Sydney. "But I'm better now."

Javonte nods.

"...I start the job in IT but Mr. Miller said that a position is always open for me...I know what you're saying about me being an agent and all and the risks of that...but I think I can do it. I think we'll be okay. I've done it before I can continue to do it. I just gotta train a lot before I get on the field since it has been a while.", said Sydney.

"Just stick to IT for right now", said Javonte.

Sydney's phone went off. It's a text message from Javonte's mom.

Sydney picks her phone up and Javonte takes it out of her hand.

"We're on a date. No phones", said Javonte.

"It was your mom", said Sydney.

Javonte looks at her phone and opens the conversation. He sees a picture of Xavier's back. It had bruises on it.

"She's just asking if you packed the melatonin.", said Javonte.

"Nope. I forgot", said Sydney.

"I'll text her back", said Javonte as he pretends to text his mom back and deletes the picture.

"Maybe we should just get them if Xavier is causing her trouble when we're done with dinner", said Sydney.

"Nah. We have the whole night and maybe tomorrow to ourself", said Javonte. "Let's use it. I know you're tired of Xavier's tantrums and so am I. Let's have a break."

"You're right", said Sydney. "But the tantrums have calmed down though. I was a little worried at first because even though Say had her days when she was younger, she never acted like that. All kids are different so.. but I'm just glad it's been better."

"Yea, maybe it was the talk him and I had", said Javonte.

"I try to talk to him all of the time and it never worked. What did you say?", asked Sydney.

"I whooped his ass", said Javonte. "Something you should've been doing."

"He's two", said Sydney. "He's only two."

"I don't care. I told him to calm his little down, that's what he should've done", said Javonte.

Sydney sighs.

"It ain't the end of the world. Problem solve", said Javonte.

"The only thing you did was put fear in him...not teach him right from wrong. You just made him fear the consequences.", said Sydney.

"If he acts a fool out here in this world it'll be consequences...so it'll be consequences in my house. Our house.", said Javonte.

"Don't be your dad", said Sydney.

"Don't speak about nothing you don't know shit about", said Javonte.

"I know that you hated your dad for the things he used to do when he was alive. Do you want that to be Xavier with you?", asked Sydney.

"You need to change the topic of conversation", said Javonte.

"No..no I don't. Look, you can do whatever you think you need to do to me. But my kids are off limits from now on. Do you understand me?", said Sydney.

"I hear you loud and clear", said Javonte. "And by the way, hated is past tense. I still hate that man as he burns in hell right now."

"...I don't think you should say that", said Sydney.

"Why? Because he's dead? Hell...", he said as he sat back in his chair. "I'm the one that did it."

Sydney didn't respond to what he said right away. She didn't think she heard him correctly.

Javonte realized what he said and sat forward.

"Sydney let's just stop talking this. Tonight is supposed to be about you and me", said Javonte in a calm voice.

"I can't believe you", she said softly.

"...it was either that or I let my mom suffer for the rest of life...look at her. She's happy", said Javonte.

"You still murdered him", said Sydney.

"You've murdered people", said Javonte.

"Following protocol", said Sydney. "Working on my job. Not on my time off...well in your case, before you even started."

"I had to do what I had to do", said Javonte. "I'd be free from him eventually but my mom wouldn't."

Sydney massaged her temples.

"So if I ever become him...that's why I said to kill me", said Javonte.

"...Von...you are him...and I can't sit around anymore thinking that it'll be better because it won't", said Sydney. "I'm done."

"No you aren't", said Javonte.

Sydney leans forward.

"I don't want to hurt you Von but I swear to God it will not end pretty if you wanna force this.", said Sydney. "I'm done and don't try to find either."

Sydney takes her ring off and puts it on the table before walking away.

Javonte sits there for a moment before picking up her ring. He looks at her ring for few moments and puts it in his pocket.

The waitress walks up to the table.

"Can I—"

"Check please", said Javonte calmly. "We're in a bit of a hurry to get somewhere so could you make it quick?"

"Yes. Be right back", said the waitress before walking away.

Javonte starts massaging his forehead as if he's stressed out. Then he suddenly begins to chuckle to himself.

"This woman done lost her mind", said Javonte before he drinks the rest of his wine.

TO BE CONTINUED....