(68) Nature Needs a Hug

Title: Nature Needs a Hug
-
Request: X
-
Pronouns: They/Them
-
Summary: George encounters a nature god, Y/n after a nap where they accidentally grow things, they recount a few of their troubles while the two hang out for a short time.
-
Other:
•< Has a few calm opinions on death, but otherwise should just be some melancholy vibes to it.
•< This book will be ending or at least be paused for a while after old chapters are published, apologies....

------------------------------------------------------------

George woke up, he felt heavy and tried moving a little, he felt stiff and even moving his fingers took effort to do that one minor thing which was odd since all he'd done was doze off to nap. He opened his eyes and saw green around his peripheral vision and the bright blue sky painted with clouds above.

"Oh...You're alive, didn't realize that...sorry about that. I didn't mean to plant you in place before you were dead." A voice called quietly beside him, like they didn't want to wake anyone up in a sleeping house at midnight. Somehow he'd been moved from the plain of grass where he was supposed to be taking a short nap to a wide and open cliff face, how he'd gotten there was a mystery to him.

"Could you let me go? That would be nice, and yeah...I'm alive, sorry to disappoint if you wanted me to be otherwise." George mumbled awkwardly while wriggling his fingers which managed to escape being covered in plants though found the dirt was indifferent for the rest of his body. Moss and grass had been growing around him along with cute little flowers and vines that curled around him to make decoration, shrooms carefully picked places around him and clumped up in groups together like friends.

But it was comfy like a blanket and warm enough to be tolerated, maybe under different circumstances it would be more pleasant but not uninvited.

"My bad. I just felt bored and wanted to grow things, your friends have given me no time to do that nowadays, otherwise I'd be immediately caught by them all. They didn't have a great time with DreamXD and his godly abilities so I assumed I'd be treated the same as he had been at the time..." Y/n remarked and picked at the grass around their feet absently.

"Thanks, I'm sorry for my friends bothering you too much...why do they bother you if you just grow things, isn't that supposed to be a good thing and not a bad thing?" George asked, sitting up and rubbing the sleep out of his eyes. He didn't detect any sort of malicious intent in their voice and they didn't seem like the violent type of all they liked doing was grow things while they were bored and chat with other people.

"Well, I'm a nature deity and all, I usually grow everything and I don't really get in the way of everyone else...But I can I care for the dead, too. I grow things on the graves to make whatever ghost or spirit that haunts the place happier, and maybe make the visitors feel a spark of joy." They replied while making a little explosion with their finger tips for imagery before leaning back on their arms to watch the clouds drift by.

"Those are pretty opposite spectrums, Death and Growing stuff, I mean. How'd they deal with you before?" George asked them and Y/n shrugged vaguely in response, in fact they looked rather nonchalant about the whole thing. Well, maybe being alive for so long and being immortal until the end of time gave you a bit to mellow out a lot more and think about things slower since you had a few lifetimes.

"They just didn't...no one has ever found me or interacted with me much, but I'd imagine that, like DreamXD, I wouldn't be well received by mortals as they would any other deity with powers like mine, not to mention I'm seen around graves and corpses sometimes so they probably think I'm dangerous." They shrugged.

"I don't hurt anyone in the process of those sightings mind you, it's just that during wars no one cleans up after the battle when they're all high on glory or fleeing for their lives and if I find someone, I simply give them a proper burial or send off from the living realm."

"What do you mean?"

"Sometimes people don't properly bury the dead and I think that's a shame, I figured you were dead because you were just lying there so I make a monument and bury them before going on with my day."

"Oh...Well, what can you do, being a nature deity and all?" George asked curiously, they stuck a hand in the air and the grass began curling around their arm up until their fingertips, where it bloomed a few flowers along their way up their arm like they were giving a hug. Around them, the grass bloomed other flowers surrounding them as a perfect silhouette.

"It's not as impressive as say...DreamXD and his infinite controlling abilities, or Technoblade being blessed with amazing PvP skill, but it's what I do and I'm content with what I've got. I was supposed to be given the world as the oldest is given the world by birthright, but DreamXD seemed better fitted for the job than I was, so I stepped aside. I like it better this way." Y/n said, examining their work before shaking down the petals which bloomed into new flowers as they touched the grass.

"Huh...But why the death aspect? If you make life and grow things, why do you care for the dead so much?" George asked them curiously, looking over at the few flowers still decorating their arm and hanging on for dear life, which looked oddly beautiful like they'd been painted too perfectly rather than created. Within seconds though, they wilted, shrivelled, and died just to be replaced with a new set of colourful flowers like nothing had happened and continued to sway happily in the wind.

"Nothing I make lasts forever so eventually I've got to cut them short for new growth. What's the difference with you humans? The difference is I personally don't cut you short, but I care for them anyway, the world and ground you all walk in and rest in for eternity is mine, everyone becomes a subject of mine eventually, so surely there's no harm in caring for them. DreamXD only controls what I create, if he wants something, I must create it first."

"I see...Are you responsible for all the forests, the lakes, the rain, clouds?" George asked curiously. So far he'd only seen them grow things, but it would be nice to ask, just in case. They nodded to his surprise and crafted a small dark cloud from seemingly nowhere except from their hands and let it gently float around as it shifted from shape to shape as they watched it.

"Of course, I am a nature deity and that means the thunderstorms, the rain, the lightning, I control all things nature. With infinite time on my hands, I have forever to have bad days and when those days come you humans experience rain, thunder, whatever I am feeling that day resides within the weather of the day." Y/n explained to him and tossed the darkened cloud into the sky, where it floated up and away out of their hands like it was made of helium rather than any normal substance.

The sky darkened itself and a streak of lightning shook the earth, only a couple droplets of water dripped down at first. Y/n made a tree with dense leaves to cover the two just before the rain really began pouring down, the cliff side had been barren only a few moments earlier but with them sitting here and creating things, grass and flowers bloomed in a silhouette around where they sat and now a huge dense tree shaded the two sitting together. They lifted their hand and only a few seconds as the rain kept pouring, their hand was soaked quickly, and Y/n wrung out their sleeve which had also gotten rather soaked in the rain unintentionally.

"That's amazing! Why don't you ever interact with someone like you do with me? I think you're pretty cool, so I think everyone else will too!" George said happily, they shook their head.

In such a short time, he was amazed to find they could create such beautiful things, and yet considered their abilities unfavourable in the eyes of humans. They must've experienced everyone's wars, regrew what they destroyed and aided their combat from day to day basic things like their weather or their entire landscape.

"You do not understand, no one approaches me now. I'm mostly said to be a violent force of nature, have you seen the ways I've been described in the far and few in-between books about me? You may be the only person to ever know about me and my existence other than my fellow gods and I am warning you, do not tell anyone else until I am ready." Y/n ordered, he frowned and thought for a moment of a way to cheer them up because they looked quite upset like they really wanted to meet more mortals but didn't know how or when.

"How about one day—when you're ready for it of course—visit me and I'll introduce you to everyone! Anytime!" He offered and they stood up, thinking.

"Perhaps, child. I'll consider your offer."