45- Facing The World

The sun rises early that day, the morning sun rays enters their bedroom. The sky is blue, starring happily at the couple. But they really don't want to get up.

Especially Tao Ru, she is nervous about their agenda today.

"Let's go." Jing says, holding her hand.

____

The dreadful road finally comes to an end. In front of them is the magnificent door of the Huang Ma manor.

They knocked.

And inside, hundreds of elders are waiting for them. Once the door is open, all eyes are on them, especially on Li Tao Ru. She is the one that they think should die for honor, and only by Jing's mercy.

Tao Ru tries to avoid eye contact with everyone. She is afraid, now that she is powerless anyone could harm her. And their stares is just.. disproving of her being.

"Follow me." Jing takes her to a back room. He notices everyone's piercing gaze. And he thinks it's better to put her away first and do the explanation alone.

"Stay here, I will come find you once it's done." He pays her head.

"But Jing-" she is afraid that someone will come and attack her when Jing is not here.

"Do you want to come then?" Jing frowns, maybe she does want to come.

"Um, never mind, I will wait here."

"I will have someone get you lunch later." He smiles and closes the door behind him.

_______

The tension at the main hall is high as Jing enters. He can see the elders lining up informs of him, probably having complaints about his decision letting Li Tao Ru lives.

The problem is, everyone thinks that Jing is going to make her his slave. To torture her, and to humiliate her. And they are here to talk him out of his evil plan.

But that is so far away from the truth, so should he just.. tell them the truth?

"Master Jing, we are here to give our opinion. Although we know that you are now the leader of the martial arts world. May us share our thoughts." An elder starts.

He nods.

"We wanted to express our discontentment of your decision to take Li Tao Ru as your property." Someone starts the argument.

"Li Tao Ru is a fighter and should be respected as such. Although she had lost the fight, your subordinates believe that she deserves her honor." Followed by another elder.

"She is a fighter from Tu Gu Sect, she should remain a virgin, and die as a virgin." Someone from Tu Gu Sect says.

The session went on for hours, with almost 50 elders giving their two cents.

"Everyone, I appreciate your concerns. As the leader of martial arts world, I will act with honor and respect to everyone.."

The crowds' mood lighten up.

"But I can't execute your request, she is not going to die."

"What?"

"Why?"

"That's is bad news."

"Li Tao Ru deserves the honor death."

"But I promise that she will be okay. She won't be hurt, or mistreated." Jing says, trying to subdue the raging crowds.

"Then why do you want to keep her?" Someone asks.

"I'm going to marry her." Jing stated, he doesn't want to sugarcoat anything, if he needs to face the consequences than so he it. He doesn't want to hide it from the world anymore.

"Why?!" Jing can see many disapproving looks. Especially from Tu Gu Sect members, they must think Jing wants to humiliate their whole sect.

"She is my soulmate."

The crowds don't know if they heard him correctly.

"Li Tao Ru is my soulmate, and I am going to marry her." He said clearer this time.

"No way, this must be a joke."

"How can this be?!"

"Are they really destined to be together?"

"I will not say anything but the truth here. And because of that, I will not let her die." He states, followed by audible gasp from the crowd.

"We want to see Li Tao Ru, where is she now?" Tao Ru's shifu stands, disagreeing with the outrageous claim.

"Yes, we want to see her condition."

"We want to hear her explanation too!"

Jing exhales. He knows that he can't subdue the situation until they see Tao Ru, he just hope that she would be okay with it.

"I will get her." He said, walking to the back room.

Knock knock

"Jing?"

"It's me." He answers. "Tao Ru, they want to see you." He says straight to the point.

She looks down, but she knows that she has to go. "Alright."

"Are you okay with it?"

She nods.

Jing takes Tao Ru to meet everyone at the grand hall. Their eyes do not stop starting at her.

"Li Tao Ru is it true what Huang Ma Jing says about you being his soulmate?" Her shifu asks, looking straight at her eyes.

She is sinful, and dirty. But she needs to say the truth.

"Y-Yes, shifu." She says timidly while holding her pregnant belly. She buys her lip, what does her shifu think of her right now?

"Did he harm you in anyway?

"Are you okay?"

"Do you need help?"

Everyone is so concerned, even the fighters from other sects. They just wanted to make sure that she is okay.

"I am okay, sorry to make everyone worried. And no, he never hurt me."

"So do you agree to stay with Huang Ma Jing, as his wife?" The old Tan walks forward.

She looks down at her belly, knowing that this is her fate now.

Clank !

Sound of a sword hitting another filled the grand hall, followed by the both word hitting the ground.

All eyes are searching for the origin of the sound.

"Are you okay?!" Jing rushes to check on Tao Ru.

"Huh?" She doesn't even know what happened. She only looks at Jing confused.

"Someone throws a sword at Li Tao Ru to kill her!" Someone says in the crowd.

Her eyes grows big. Someone wants to assassinate her and she couldn't even sense it.

She looks at Jing with gratitude. When the sword comes near her, Jing is the one that blocked the attack.

The crowds are now in chaos because of the attempted attack.

"How there they tried to kill Li Tao Ru in this big gathering!"

"They must have a big guts!"

"Who is the assassin?"

Everyone is still wondering, but when Tao Ru take a quick glance at the attacking sword on the granite floor, she knows exactly who that was. And to that, she just exhale her breath.