17- Protecting Her

"Huang Ma Jing is getting married?" They are all stunned, this is a very big news.

When the master of Huang Ma Clan found his soulmate, he will become stronger. Hu-er grips the cup so tightly that it almost broke.

A woman sitting next to Hu-er had an a-ha moment, "don't say that Senior Li is-"

Her words are cut short by everyone's dead glare.

"Our Senior is not that kind of person."

"Yeah, Senior Li won't do such low thing like that."

"In my opinion, knowing our senior's values, there is no way she has the idea to assassinate the bride just to eliminate Huang Ma Jing."

Everyone nods.

"But don't you think that our senior will come to see the wedding? It's a big public event after all."

"I don't know, but we have to go back and tell shifu about this big news."

_

Tao Ru meditates under a thousand years old banyan tree. The birds chirping is harmonious with the sound of the calm water in the river. She gently touches her stomach, and take a deep breath. Her silky black hair flows beautifully as the wind blows.

"I can't believe I'm going to get married."

"Is this really my fate?" She asks the thin air. A Gu Mountain stands tall in the south, she sees the reflection on the water and smiles faintly.

She tells Jing that she wants to be alone today, since their wedding day is in two days. Jing is meeting his family in the house to talk about the wedding, but since Tao Ru doesn't understand anything about wedding, she will just become uncomfortable if she's there.

-

When the sun sets, Tao Ru goes home. She has been exploring the forest all day and she is tired.

She walks to the front door when she hears a high pitched voice questioning Jing.

"What do you mean you don't want to live in the manor?" A bit of disappointment and offense taken by the old lady.

Oh, they are still here? Tao Ru cancels her entrance and waits outside the door.

"I just think that living here is better for us." Jing tries to reason with his mother.

"But she is pregnant, we have best maids and doctors there, plus she won't need to do much work."

"Mother, Li Bai Fu won't feel comfortable living with so many people.." his voice plead.

Tao Ru is taken a back by Jing's thoughtfulness. She will obviously feel weird to live in her enemy's base. Tao Ru doesn't know why but a small smile and trust grows inside her heart.

From now on, I will protect you with my life. Jing's sweet voice whispers from memory.

Tao Ru is the last person that needs protection in this world, actually no one can hurt her and she she knows that. In her life she had always been the one who needs to protect others, the feeling is very foreign to her. but somehow she feels the warmth of the night hugs her dearly.

_

Lady Wei and her mother finally go back home after a long day. Tao Ru can finally eat some dishes with Jing.

Her expression is weird, looks like she is thinking very hard.

"Were you waiting outside?"

"No, it's fine, I just don't want to disturb your family meeting."

"Tao Ru, we need to talk." His tone suddenly becomes more serious.

Both of them are sitting on the bed, facing each other. From his expression, Tao Ru can tell that what he is about to say is very important. He doesn't look straight at her eyes, which is unusual. Tao Ru frowns because of his disturbing behavior.

"They are searching for you." A low voice breaks the silence of the night.

"Who?"

"Your shifu, Wei saw them on the street today."

As much as Jing what's to keep it as a secret, he doesn't want to hide anything from Tao Ru. Trust is one of the most important foundation of love in his opinion.

"Oh." Tao Ru doesn't know how to react, now that Jing talks about it, she really does miss her sect.

He holds her hands, doesn't want to lose her. "What do you think?" He finally asks. Her face is gloomy, and Jing feels guilty.

"I don't have any option." She looks down and holds her stomach, one thing that she is sure of, is to protect her child.

"Should we tell them?" He looks at her, trying to get a reaction. "About us?"

"..." She just stares at him in disbelief, that is a very bad idea.

"Tao Ru," he holds her cheeks and makes her to look at him. "I know you are still uncertain about our wedding."

"What if, I formally take you from your sect?"

"You can't do that. Woman of Tu Gu Sect can not get married." Her voice is weak, sadness is drawn on her face.

"I read the rule book." He really did. Ever since he finds out that Tao Ru is pregnant, Jing has been searching Tu Gu Sect's rule book and tries to find a loophole to officially marry her.

"Huh?"

"5000 burning iron hits." He looks at her seriously. "I can do that for you, for our family." He holds the baby on her belly.

Tao Ru glared at him. No way.

"I won't die. I am the fighter of the century. But I will be very weak after, if you can carry me back from the mountain everything we be okay and we can get married." He lays out his plan.

"It's.. it's.."

"If I manage to do that, then they won't have anything to say about us."

"Lust is a violation of fundamental principles, one whom being blinded by lust shall be punished by five thousand burning iron hits in front of the holiness of Tu Gu Sect to be forgiven." She recites the rule.

Tao Ru never thinks that way, because nobody has ever manage to live after that punishment. So she always thinks that it is just a more painful way of death penalty. Because the one who violate the law is always lower ranked woman who doesn't have self control.

Thank you for reading!

Please vote and share this story to your friends! See ya! And have a nice day