Prologue

Latissa. A dirty, wild town, filled to the brim with thieves, outlaws, and poverty. Not many people like to visit the place.

Edalyn Clawthorne, however, had to. She had just adopted a little dog-like creature with a skull as a full face mask that she found in some temple out at the Boiling Sea. Latissa was the first town she arrived at that had the least amount of Coven Authorities.

Eda carried little baby King under her cloak, where she could feel his tiny snores against her chest. Her head was hooded as she browsed the street market and the rain came down.

Eda approached a sketchy pet shop.

"Scuse me, you guys got anything for scruffy little demons?"

The store owner looked her dead in the eye and dropped a large bag of moldy feed on the counter.

"Ok...can I just have a small-ish bowl?"

The store owner placed a bright yellow soup bowl with a crack on the rim on the counter. It had obviously been a normal bowl painted to look like it was a pet bowl.

"How much?"

"15 snails," the owner said in a raspy voice.

Eda took out a pouch of money and placed the 15 snails on the counter, took the bowl, and left.

She walked through the rain, looking for a secure place to get out of there on Owlbert. After minute or two, Eda noticed a little girl under a store roof that was poorly shielding her from the rain.

She was curled up in the fetal position, had choppy short brown hair, raggy clothes, dirty skin, and bare feet.

Eda eyed the damp hat by the girl. Feeling a little sorry, she approached her and dropped about 4 snails into the hat.

"Thank you..." she mumbled lowly.

Eda nodded and kept walking. Not even 5 seconds after she walked away, the girl shot up, shoved something into her pocket, and sprinted off down an alley.

Eda watched her leave, a little confused. She put her free hand in her pocket. Then she noticed her money pouch was missing.

"Hey!"

She started to run after the girl, going down the same alley she did. Eda spotted her swiftly turn a corner. It was pretty smooth, given she was barefoot.

"Get back here with my money!"

Baby King was awake now, holding onto the back of Edas head as she dashed down alleys and corridors, trying to catch up with the fast little thief.

After some time, Eda didn't see the kid anymore. She just saw a door at the end on the alley. Curious, she went towards it.

Just as she was about to touch the doorknob, the kid jumped down from a hidden hiding place and surprised Eda. She was now holding a rusty looking mandolin.

"Get back! I know Bard magic!"

Eda raised a brow.

"Try me."

The little girl tried to hold back her unexpected expression. This must've been the first time someone wasn't affected by a threat like that.