Chapter 16

It was a cold early eve, around 8 ish. The winds were chilly, but not harsh. Since she had a missing glove, Navalia used her cloak sleeve to keep her hand warm.

"You still got abomination goop on your face. Hold still, I'll get it."

She used her sleeve to wipe some purple abomination goo off of Hunter's nose. His face went pink. The red bird perched on his head and chirped. Whatever he said embarrassed him.

"H-hey! I do not!"

"You understood him?"

"I guess I did."

The bird tweeted something.

"Oh, is that your name? Can you say it again?"

He did it again.

"Ha, weird."

"Not as weird as the nickname you gave me."

"Hey! I didn't have time to think about it!"

They were interrupted by their stomachs rumbling at the same time. Navalia laughed.

"Oh, good! I was about to ask if you wanted to go get something to eat. We can stop by some place. My treat."

"Really?"

"Sure. But first, let's see how well you can fly on a non-artificial staff. I'll give you a quick lesson."

She stood in front of him.

"So! First things first, summon your staff!"

She raised her hand up and Cthulhu flew up towards it. He took staff form. Navalia took it, twirled it around, and held it up straight.

"Now you. It doesn't have to have glamour, just do it."

Hunter held the bird in his hands.

"Uh... staff time!"

He gently lifted him into the air and the little palisman took on his staff form. Navalia couldn't help laughing.

"Ha ha! Well, that's one way to do it! Ok, now you mount it."

He did it as she did.

"This part is either difficult or easy depending on the person. The last thing you need to do is think 'fly', and that's what it'll do."

Cthulhu lifted her up a couple feet.

"Like this. Then you're pretty much free to do whatever!"

She stood on her staff and looked down.

"Now you try!"

Hunter closed his eyes and kept thinking how he wanted his staff to fly. After a minute or so, his feet lifted off the ground.

He opened his eyes to see he was hovering next to Navalia.

"Great job! Now that we know you can fly alright, let's head to the night market."