Chapter 23

Once in the gym, Navalia spotted the Blight twins and stood with them.

"Wait, you guys are multitracking? That's a thing now?"

"You should start coming to classes more often."

Up on the stage was Bump, the illusions track teacher, and some hooded person with a tail.

"Students, teachers, allow me to introduce the esteemed—"

The hooded person stopped him and stepped forward.

"Please Principal Bump, I deserve no accolades."

He took off the hood.

"Hello everyone. My name is Adrian Graye, head witch of the Illusionist Coven. And unfortunately, I'm not here with hood news. The Emperor's Coven has plans to stop multitrack studies by inducting every Hexide student into a coven before the Day of Unity."

A commotion fell on the crowd of students. Bump tried to calm them down.

"Don't fret! No one will have their magic sealed away. Head witch Graye supports us and has come to help."

One of the teachers led Edric up to the stage.

"Before any coven scouts come by, I'm going to make illusions of sigils on your wrists. They'll be temporary and harmless."

Edric started to panic.

"Whoa whoa whoa, wait! I just started the other tracks, are you sure this is safe?"

Navalia saw her friend was worried and climbed up on stage.

"Don't worry about it, Ed. I'll go first instead."

He joined Emira and Adrian explained to Navalia how this was going to work.

"Once a scout sees the fake sigil, they'll move on and you can continue your studies in peace."

Adrian lifted her uniform sleeve.

"Hold still."

Just before he could do anything, Gus yelled from the crowd.

"Stop! Don't trust him! He's hiding behind an illusion!"

Navalia yanked her arm back and kicked the imposter so hard the illusion broke, revealing a head scout that was about to brand her for real.

The voice of the real Adrian could be heard nearby.

"Cut! Just cut!"

More coven scouts poised from thin air, some holding moviemaking tools. Adrian Greye appeared in the back center of the stage on a director's chair.

After he gave "notes" to the scouts, he appeared behind Gus and grabbed his arm. One of the scouts gave him the sigil glove and Navalia went to help before his magic could be sealed away.

However, once she was somewhat close enough, a flash of blue came from Gus, and a great big illusion blanketed the area.

Navalia took this chance and used her magic to send Adrian flying into the illusion.