Chapter 28

The kids trudged out of the woods and onto a street. Nothing too impressive for Navalia. She's seen many of these whenever she tagged along with Eda here in the good old days.

That particular street was lined with lots of homes, some with lights on. The streetlights flickered faintly in the rain.

The only warm part of her body was the hand that was holding Hunter's.

Luz led them to the porch of the closest one and knocked on the door. A woman opened it a couple seconds later.

She looked kind. She smelled of good warm food and had a huggable aura. The best type of mom. Second to Eda, of course.

Luz's mom's eyes widened with worry when she saw them.

"Hi mom..." Luz greeted with a slightly forced smile. "I'm home."

Her mom squeezed the life out of her as the rain fell on her head. Navalia tapped her shoulder.

"Hi, hate to ruin this touching reunion, but where could a girl find the nearest bathroom? I have a mental breakdown to get started on."

Ms. Noceda blinked and pointed into the house.

"The room right across from the kitchen..."

"Thanks, emotionally adopted little sister's biological mother."

Navalia went inside, Hunter staying close to her the whole time.

Once in the bathroom, she sat in the bathtub, and curled up into her legs. Hunter joined her in there and gently nudged her.

"Watcha doing?"

"Discovering that I'm too exhausted to cry."

"Yeah, me too."

"This all sucks..."

"It does. All this went down, and I never got to take you out on a date."

Hunter heard a soft laugh from Navalias knees. She uncurled and hugged him with the strength she could muster.

"Thanks for being here."

"Thanks for letting me." He planted a kiss on her head.

Navalia looked up at him.

"Do you wanna know now or later?"

"Let's get it all out there now."

She sat up and took a deep breath before telling Hunter what she thinks could've been a backstory about who he used to be.

He listened attentively to her voice, completely focused the whole time. He sighed shakily once it was over.

"Oh Titan."

"Yeah... but keep in mind, I could be wrong in some aspects."

"That's fine. Least now I have some sort of idea. A really fucking scary one, but an idea nonetheless."

The scent of something cooking wafted in from the kitchen.