Chapter 24

Navalia had come to before Hunter. Emira was sitting at the edge of her cot, healing her with magic.

"So... you gonna explain why you were running around school with the Musty Man over there, or...?"

"Uh... how do I explain this? He's kinda my—"

Before she could say "will to live," Hunter shot up, his eyes darting frantically around the room.

"Gh! Thi-This is an illusion! Nav, Gus! Are you—gah!"

He tripped while trying to stand up. Navalia rushed over and helped him to his feet.

"Hey, it's ok. I'm here. I'm real. Gus insisted I get us to the healing home room before I blacked out, so I did. I just hope the kid's ok..."

Principal Bump walked up to them.

"Well, Mr. Golden Guard."

"Hey, he has a name you know."

"Hunter."

"Well, Hunter, Miss Clawthorne teleported you here with her while you were unconscious. After she passed out, the Flyer Derby team insisted we help you. But I am not quite yet convinced of your innocence. Where have your scouts taken Augustus?"

Navalia heard Ed and Em murmur to each other.

"That's the Golden Guard?"

"My dude looks kinda sickly."

She sent them a look.

"Hey! Behave."

The other students in the room started to make rude comments about his appearance and how someone like the Golden Guard couldn't possibly be trustworthy.

"Excuse you, but if I hear another word out of your ignorant face holes, I'll give you a taste of these hands!!"

"I'm not with them, I swear! I was with Gus and Navalia the whole time. I was trying to get him to you."

"Him, but not her? Did you plan on handing over Miss Clawthorne to the scouts?"

"I'd never do that!"

"He said it like that because I didn't want to leave his side!"

"Maybe we can trade him for Augustus," the illusions teacher said. "I'm sure the Emperor would want him back."

Hunter made a fearful expression and squeezed Navalias hand. She grew furious at that teacher for opening her damn mouth and making him feel scared.

"If any of you try touch him with such intentions, I will gut you with my sword, remove all of your skin, place you in a fucking freezer, and slowly watch you perish!!!"

The people in the room were intimidated by the crazy look that she had in her eye.

Hunter didn't think that, though. He looked at her with sparkly eyes.