Chapter 13

Navalia stood there, trying to anticipate the Golden Guard's next move.

A zap? A punch? A one liner?

It was none of those things.

His staff stopped glowing and he pulled his mask down.

"Hunter. My name is Hunter."

Navalia couldn't hide her flustered blush. She did not expect that. She laughed nervously.

"What fanfiction did you just pop out of?"

She spotted a pinkish light from behind Hunter.

"Look out!"

She tackled him to the ground, dodging a blast from the barely conscious Kikimora.

"You ok?"

Hunter was anything but ok. Never once has he been in this position with a girl his age. And by position, I mean on the floor looking up to see only chest and part of a face.

He simply made a noise.

"I'll take that as a yes. Mask up, Hunter."

Navalia put her goggles on and her gold-and-green mask solidified.

She got off Hunter and used her staff to swat away a pink zap from Kikimora, who was blindly shooting them.

Navalia ran towards her. Hunter caught up and appeared next to her. With one look, they knew what to do.

Navalia broke left to distract Kikimora, who aimed at her blurred figure. Then Hunter teleported behind her and used his staff like a bat to send her rolling.

She dropped the whistle she used to command the dragon. Navalia went to pick it up. She was just about to get shot when Hunter came in to swat her hand away.

The two of them twirled their staffs in unison and whacked her in the head.

Resisting her concussion, she drew a wonky circle an out came a wave of pink fire. A small flame got on a strand of Hunter's hair. Navalia reached and put it out with her fingers.

They looked away from each other and pretending they weren't blushing.

Navalia blocked a shot.

"We gotta get out of here. Make a break for the dragon on three."

She teleported continuously around Kikimora in a circle.

"One—"

Navalia sent out ice spikes.

"Two—"

Kikimora tried hitting her blurred figures.

"Three!"

Hunter ran for the dragon. Navalia did as well. Kikimora found herself surrounded by a large glowing circle.

When Hunter and Navalia got on the dragon's saddle, Kiki was sent flying the air by an ice pillar.