Chapter 20

Navalia had a busy couple of days. She spent them browsing the markets for something. What was that something? She didn't know yet.

Hunter's birthday was coming up. And since Navalia has the biggest crush on him, she wants to give him a good present.

She would've done it a while ago, but she didn't find out until she helped set up his Penstagram profile.

Navalia had no idea what to get him. She had gone through her list already, but none of the items seemed good enough.

His ears weren't pierced, so she couldn't give him any decent earrings. She couldn't give him any of the cool stuff she gets from jobs since they seemed too tacky as gifts, so she didn't go with the amethyst throwing stars.

She couldn't even give him a card since words can't express how much she cares about Hunter.

Navalia wandered around the night market, hoping something will catch her eye.

Her pocket buzzed, the muffled voices of her younger siblings coming from the cutesy walkie-talkie that Luz wanted them all to have.

"Aren't you two both with Eda right now? Why do you need to use these things?"

"But Valiaaaa! This is fun!"

"No arruines la diversión!"

"Nice Spanish, King!"

"Ustedes niños hagan lo que quieran, pero yo voy a apagar esta cosa hasta que yo termine."

"Wow, Valia! I guess you really were paying attention during those Spanish lessons!"

"Yeah yeah, I'm gonna keep doing my thing, I'll see you guys at home."

Navalia turned off her walkie-talkie and kept looking around at the shops.

"I don't think Hunter wears anything other than his uniform or what's under it, so clothes won't be a very good gift. But just in case, I'll get him an outfit."

She shoplifted the clothes she thought he'd look nice in.

"Now, what am I going to get...?"

She spotted a shop with a lot of bookshelves and writing stuff. Like the Demon Realm version of Barnes and Noble.

"Of course! That cute idiot is also a cute nerd! Books are the answer! I just have to get stuff he doesn't have."

Which was way harder than she thought.

From what she recalled, Hunter already owned half the store. Navalia had a tough time finding something. But she eventually found the perfect things.

Hunter loved research things, but he also liked books with mystery plots. Extra points if they had a cool scientific element.

Navalia found a good mystery novel about these kids of different ages in a mental hospital, all of whom don't know how they got there. Now they have to break out using the hospital supplies and utilities while also trying to figure out who or what put them there.