Chapter 6

It was a week and a half after the whole almost-petrification incident, and lots had changed already.

Lilith was living in the house now, Luz is teaching her and Eda her glyph magic, and Navalia was taken more seriously.

People respected her like they would Eda when she had power, and she was practically an urban legend now. Sure, it was a lot of responsibility, since now her family mostly relied on her to get money for all their needs, but she didn't mind.

This was the life she was after. And she was happy with it.

But some of her jobs were a little harder to do now. The Emperor had moved more into Bonesborough for some reason, so there were more coven scouts and officers running about.

But Navalia didn't mind that much either. She loved a challenge.

She went into town bright and early and went to her favorite pawnshop to sell some loot.

"Morning, Jeremy!"

She plopped her sack on the counter. Jeremy came over with a cup of coffee.

"You're cheery today, Maverick."

"Nah, I'm just in a rush. I need to cash in so I can get some groceries."

"Well then, let's see what you have. You wanna browse through some job listings while you wait?"

"Yes please!"

He handed her a leather checking book. Navalia flipped through, in the mood for something fun that could get her some big money.

"Hey Jeremy, is there anything cool that pays a lot?"

"Check the stuff towards the end. Oh wow, a ruby cufflink."

She looked at the jobs near the end of the book. There were lots of interesting jobs there, like bodyguard duties, espionage, and heists.

"Jeremy, when's this museum heist thing?"

"Hmm? Oh, that's tonight. With the Emperor taking up more of Bonesborough, he's put down a museum showing the history of his reign with a treasures wing. That's where all the stuff you'd be stealing would be."

"But isn't there some grand opening thing for that tonight?"

"Yeah. It's expected to sneak and blend in till the time is right. You wanna take it?"

"Well... it's the highest paying job right now... ok! I'll do it!"

"Nice. Here's the information."

Jeremy handed Navalia some papers.

"And your total for everything is 20,000 snails."

He gave her a bag with the money.

"Thanks Jeremy, you're the best!"

She ran off back home. Navalia had to find a dress for such a fancy grand opening.

"Edaaa! Liliiiiith!"