Chapter 9

To her dismay, Navalia woke up. She made her way downstairs in her pajamas. Upon entering the kitchen, she was hit with a faceful of apple blood.

Eda had been trying to use magic to pour herself a drink. Navalia sighed and used magic to salvage some of the apple blood, fix the jug, and pour a cup for her.

"Thanks, Navi."

"No problem. Morning."

She kissed her mom on the cheek and went to fix herself some breakfast.

After eating, Navalia washed up, got dressed into her Maverick outfit once again, and went to Bonesborough with her family.

When she arrived, she headed straight for Jeremy's.

"Here."

She flopped her face onto the counter along with her sack of items from the night before. Jeremy came over.

"Your mood certainly changed since yesterday."

"It was exhaustiiing. And I only got four hours of sleep..."

"Sorry to hear that. But you'll be somewhat glad to know that you're getting paid 900 thousand snails."

"Ooh, yay!"

"Next week."

"...hWAT?"

"The person who put up the job listing wants to see the stuff first. Inspect them, y'know? But the money will definitely come."

She sighed.

"Well, I'm getting paid at least. See ya, Jeremy."

"Later, Maverick."

When Navalia caught up with the others, Eda was picking a fight with the bounty hut clerk.

"Do you know who I am?!"

"Yeah, you're Eda the Owl Lady. What're you gonna do? Everyone knows you're powerless now."

She angrily drew a large circle in the air, but it crackled and went poof. Navalia stepped in.

"If you're so smart, do you know who I am?"

The clerk's eyes widened.

"Oh, Ma-Maverick! Didn't think you were here today..."

"Well, I'm here. Pay the woman what she needs. Got it?"

"Of course! My pleasure... here's 60 thousand snails!"

She swiped the money off the counter and gave it to Eda.

"Thanks, kid. Sorry you had to interfere..."

"It's no problem. It's fun seeing them scared of me."

Lilith walked over.

"Oh, don't worry sister. At least my image still commands fear and respect."

She imitated the pose on one of the Emperor's Coven posters she was on. However, some street cleanup guy burned it.