Chapter Fourteen

Story: Moira
Chapter Fourteen: The Ball of Love

The day of the Yule Ball had finally arrived. Ginny was scared. She felt extremely remorseful for turning Harry down.

She looked at her reflection in the full-length mirror that Hermione had conjured. The bushy-haired girl had already left, wearing a turquoise frill gown, to join her date at the Entrance Hall.

A pale looking girl stared back at her. Her red hair flowed down behind her and cascaded down her shoulders. Some strands framed her face. A small amount of blush and pink lipstick was all the makeup Ginny required. Her creme coloured gown looked so beautiful - a gift from the hard-earned money by her parents - but she did not feel as beautiful wearing it.

In turn, she felt more miserable when Harry's eyes met hers. He was dressed in elegant black robes which matched his hair. His hair was still unkempt and messy but his dark eyes took her breath away. He turned away quickly, adding to her guilt.

"Ginny? Are you okay?" Dean Thomas asked. She looked at him and, with a plastered smile, replied in positive. The boy smiled. "You look great."

Ginny smiled in gratitude for the kind words coming from this boy. If it were from Harry, she was sure her heart would have leapt a mile.

Professor McGonagall, the Head of her House, led them into the greatly decorated hall.

Icicles hung from the ceiling and the whole hall was decorated with extravagant white things. It looked like a snowy party and Ginny's eyes, filled with admiration, met Dumbledore's merry gaze. He smiled back at her and she smiled as best as she could. However, he had spotted the latent melancholy behind the smile.

The music started and Ginny had to dance. With her hands around Dean's neck, they twirled around the dance floor, matching their steps with the rhythm. Dean had an innocent smile plastered on his face at all times and it wound her even more when she would glance at Harry and meet his eye by chance. He seemed to be enjoying his time with Alarie Beaumont or he was faking it really well - Ginny could not tell the differences apart.

________________

The slow music along with the girl he loved in his arms was like blissful heaven to Draco Malfoy. They swayed around, looking deeply into the other's soul, their eyes serving as the window.

"Y'know you're really gorgeous," Draco complimented. She blushed in response. She was wearing a dark green full-length gown along with matching accessories. The tear-drop shaped pendant which Draco gifted her just before entering the hall hung over her neck.

"You're not half bad," she retorted in kind, causing Draco to laugh. His dark green suit slash dress robes complimented her dress. The fact that their dresses complimented each other purely by coincidence came as a pleasant shock to the couple.

She smiled ever so slightly when the tone changed to rock music. "Let's enjoy ourselves, shall we?"

Together they danced wildly and blindly, shaking their arms and bumping their shoulders along with the rest of the dancing folk. Nothing else mattered to them.

_________________

Neville and Luna joined the dance floor soon after, dancing in their own rhythm. Luna was swirling around, her hands shaking oddly in a dance move, and Neville tried his best to copy her moves although he kept failing several times.

It was then that Neville decided to say the thing which he  wanted to get out for months on end.

"L-Luna I-I -"

"I guess the Wrackspurts are near you, Neville."

"I - they . . . ahem," he cleared his throat and tried again. "I want to tell you something."

"I'm all ears," Luna replied with the same dreamy look she wore all day.

"Luna, I love you . . . "

Her silver eyes glowed and she smiled widely. "I love you too, Nev."

Luna's bright yellow gown illuminated Neville's brown eyes and his blue robe, doing the same to her silver orbs. With red-tinged faces and happy smiles, they finally walked to the punch table to get rest.

_______________

"Ouch, Ron!" Hermione exclaimed.

"'M sorry!"

It wasn't the first time Ron had stepped on Hermione's toes but she did not mind. She simply couldn't keep her stern gaze at him. It would falter every time he did something she considered cute. For instance, he asked her if she had ever tasted the Bulgarian chicken or if she had used a broom to throw gnomes away instead of flying with them. She would laugh and answer him in negative each time, but his questions seemed endless. He even questioned about muggle things.

"What's a washy mashy?"

Hermione laughed. "It's not a 'washy mashy'. It's a washing machine. It helps you with laundry."

"Oh. What about the thing Harry told?"

"What did he tell?"

"Something along the lines of a knob which can kill many a person and it causes some sort of explosion."

"You mean a bomb?"

"Yeah, that! I told the ol' guy to use that when needed but he sticks to AK."

"Harry has killed someone before?" Hermione asked, her curiosity crossing bounds. Ron looked alarmed.

"I shouldn't have said that," he mumbled.

"Answer me, Ron."

"I-err . . . not my question to answer . . ." he stuttered. When his blue eyes met her curious brown ones, he couldn't help but answer her question. "Yes."

Hermione gasped lowly but kept her surprise to herself. She looked around and found Harry glaring at Ginny before leaving the hall. Ginny said something to her date, Dean, before hastily scurrying after Harry.

"What's happened?" Ron's voice broke through her thoughts and she looked back at him. He was looking at where Ginny was just a second ago.

"I don't know. Think we should go and check it out?"

"I don't know . . .?"

Hermione rolled her eyes. Was this really the boy she had fallen for?

"I think we should check out with some chicken wings and punch."

Apparently, her answer was yes.

This chapter would have been too long if I were to add the real incidents so I decided to keep it for the other couples of the story. A spoiler that the next chapter will have you fangirling/fanboying over hinny.

Also, if you guys haven't already, I published the character aesthetics! So check that out!!

Thank you for reading!

Miyoko x