Chapter Twenty

Story: Moira
Chapter Twenty: The Depths of Water

The crazy encouragement of the students rang in Harry's ears as he did some warm up exercises. The second task was about to start and it involved crossing the lake and, from there, they had to rescue their 'treasures' and get them back to the shore.

Harry was perplexed about what his treasure would be. He was always taught not to get attached to anything or anyone, for that matter. Violating his law for the first time, he was attached to someone. That someone being Ginny, he glanced to his left and found her looking at the shallow, black waters. Her eyes were glazed over - indicating that she was in deep thought. He looked at his right and found Alarie doing breathing exercises.

Feeling guilty to look at Alarie when she was clad in a bikini, Harry turned away and concentrated on his warm ups. However, he too found himself looking at the still waters in thought.

Following a few days after the task, they would learn about a secret as old as centuries. He wasn't sure himself if he was trustworthy enough to learn the undisclosed statements the vault might contain.

When he was told the tale of the ancient powers, he was shocked. He surely did not show it, but he was astonished to find out that he held the Power of Destruction in his hands. If he so wished, he could end the world.

Harry was brought out of his train of thoughts when the canon sounded, indicating that the competition had begun.

He quickly cast the bubblehead charm and jumped into the water, holding his breath. Along with him, Ginny and Alarie splashed on both of his sides. He could only make out their silhouettes due to the array of bubbles, but soon enough, Ginny's fiery red hair followed her as she took a head start in the competition. Harry followed her, splashing his muscles as best as he could, but the petite witch was much more agile than him; on land, under water and in his heart.

Alarie swam neck-to-neck with him, splashing as best as she could and within a few minutes, the trio of champions were floating below a huge wooden board. The board's shadow shielded their faces from the direct sunlight.

Harry saw a tiny ladder dangling from the board above. Before he could even move a muscle, Alarie reached it and grabbed the first rung, then the second. She hoisted herself up the first one only to fall down into the water with a huge splash. Harry and Ginny's eyes met. The ladder seemed to be enchanted to allow one step at a time at one rung and that seemed very clear.

Ginny began looking around, her eyes narrowing at every object it cast its vision on. Harry looked at her for a few minutes, completely mesmerized, before looking away and trying to think of a way to get up to the plank. Alarie was still trying with great determination to climb the enchanted ladder.

An incoherent thought formed at the back of his mind before he was momentarily distracted by the creation of another plank, but this time by Ginny.

A barely stable wooden plank materialised out of thin air in front of her and she boarded it and cast the levitating charm, "Wingardium Leviosa."

The levitating charm did its magic and she slowly hovered in the air. She lifted her wand and started floating upwards at a slow pace. Harry momentarily wished he could destroy the plank, then snapped out of his 'alter ego' as Ginny had taken to calling his cold, evil and reserved self and tried to concentrate harder. He remembered his incoherent thought and closed his eyes in concentration.

A huge raven flew upwards at top speed and landed on the plank with a faint thud. When it changed back to its human form, its green eyes widened. In front of him lay Sirius, motionless but still alive. Sirius was Harry's treasure?