Chapter Twenty Eight

Story: Moira
Chapter Twenty Eight: The Locket

Regulus was peacefully asleep when Kreacher apparated into his room with Harry. Harry waited, with folded arms while Kreacher woke Regulus up. After seeing Harry standing leaning on his desk, Regulus woke up with a start.

"Harry! Is everything okay?" he asked, his hair poking out of every direction. He straightened them still looking at Harry. Harry nodded in response.

"Everything 'tis fine, Regulus. I need thou to answer my questions," Harry said, ignoring his slang completely. Regulus looked confused.

"What happened to you –?"

"Nothing. I just am talking like that," Harry replied with a voice that clearly said he would bear no nonsense. Regulus nodded lightly. "What do thou knowest of Horcruxes?" The silence that followed was unbearable until Regulus awkwardly sat up on the edge of his bed.

"I – er. I don't think it's –"

"Necessary to be informed to me? Quit the blabbers and answer me Regulus," Harry told strictly. He did not want the night to drag on.

"Its an object w-which serves as a c-container to one's s-soul," Regulus stammered. Harry grimaced as images of The Secrets of the Darkest Art's pages came to his mind.

"How do thou knowest about it?"

"It was the one thing which forced me to switch sides," Regulus said in a low voice that Harry barely heard him. "I found out that the Dark Lord had made a horcrux. Being born in the Black family, I knew a lot about dark magic and when I finally realized that the Dark Lord wants to become immortal, I sought on a mission to make him mortal. Using Kreacher's help, I managed to find one horcrux."

Harry's breath hitched and his heart nearly reached his throat. He had found one more horcrux. "Where 'tis it?" he asked in a low whisper.

"Kreacher!" Regulus called out and the elf apparated in. "Get me the locket I gave you to protect," he ordered and the elf nodded and left after bowing. A minute, which seemed like ten to Harry, Kreacher Apparated in, holding a locket. It was embedded with emerald stones and had a 'S' on it which looked like a live snake. "Kreacher, you may go." The elf left after another bow.

"This," Regulus said, wincing then holding the locket up to Harry. "is Salazar Slytherin's locket which the Dark Lord has turned into a horcrux to bear his soul. I found this in a cave and using some advanced elvish magic, Kreacher managed to summon it.

"No matter how hard we tried, even using elvish powers, we don't think it has been destroyed," Regulus said then handed the locket to Harry. Harry felt something heavy settle on his chest as the locket was placed on his hand.

"It canst be destroyed by elvish magic. It requires a much powerful and destructive power to destroy it," Harry supplied. Regulus nodded wearily. Harry put the locket around his neck and tucked it under his shirt. "I need it. I promise thou, I'll destroy it. Thank thou for the help, Regulus. 'Tis very much appreciated." Regulus nodded with a small smile. "Good night."

Regulus turned back to his bed and Harry discreetly pointed his wand at him. "Obliviate."

________________________

The cold, dawn wind pinched Harry's cheek as he arrived at the same spot he disappeared from. Kreacher looked at him with expecting eyes.

"Thank you for your help, Kreacher. Also, this is an order. You are not to reveal anything about what happened up until now and about the missing locket. Here, keep this in the place of that locket and never utter a word about it to Regulus or Sirius. Understood?" he asked. Kreacher nodded.

"Yes, Master Harry."

"Good," Harry said and the elf disappeared with a crack.

The pink and blue dawn skies did not cheer him up as he walked to the ship. He had a horcrux to destroy and three more were still unknown. He felt irritated. On top of that, Ginny's baleful mood annoyed him even more. Can't she understand that he was going through all this trouble to save her?

With such a mood and a night of unrest, Harry wandered to breakfast and snapped at anyone and everyone who wished him a good morning. Many of his Durmstrang mates stayed away from him and the girls who usually tried to approach him were sent away harshly with tears in their eyes.

Having no mood of putting up with this nonsense, he wrote a letter to Bellatrix asking her to come visit him that night. He had a sneaking suspicion that his Master had handed his horcruxes to the Death Eaters he trusted the most. Bellatrix, Lucius Malfoy and Dolohov were three of them.

That afternoon, Harry found himself sitting in his desk, reading the Secrets of The Darkest Art with Draco playing some game on his own.

"Draco," Harry hissed, turning from his book to look at the startled blonde boy. "Write a letter to your father to meet me tonight at the Forbidden Forest."

Draco looked weary. "Why though?"

"Don't question me!" Harry snapped back. Draco nodded, panicked and immediately took out a parchment and a quill and started writing.

Harry turned back to the book, his irritation growing with every second. He would not be able to destroy the horcrux with everyone around him lest he cause some danger to them which meant he would have to find the room in the seventh floor corridor. He couldn't destroy it that night either. He would have to meet with Lucius, Dolohov and Bellatrix. This thought did nothing to lower his annoyance, which he was sure was caused by the locket.

It seemed to beat against his chest as he thought of destruction. Harry knew, for a fact that the locket now knew he was planning to destroy it. Its tiny, continuous beating assured him that he now owned a second heart which was just as sinister as his.

Short chapter. I wanted to show the late night visits in a different chapter. ;)

Also, I dropped an Easter egg in the chapter. Has anyone found it? Comment then.

Your thoughts on this chapter? Let me know!

Thank you for reading!

Miyoko x