Rookie Mistake

Poe's P.O.V.

"I know how to fly my own damn cruiser!"

"Obviously not!" Evangeline snaps at me while readjusting levers on the control panel. Growling at her, I slap her hand away from the button before pointing at her frustratedly. "Touch one more thing and I'm taping your hand on the seat."

"Oh, I would love to see you try."

She snaps sarcastically before continuing to press buttons. A second later, the cruiser flies smoother, and she sends me a cocky expression. Rolling my eyes in defeat, I ignore the fact that she actually was helping and not just pressing buttons to sabotage me.

I should have known Han Solo and Leia Organa's daughter would know her way around a ship. In the short time I've known her, I noticed three things; she acts just like her mother when she's mad, controlling like her father and nothing like I thought a Jedi would be.

"So what's your name, hotshot?" Solo speaks up with utter sass in the silence as we cruise through space. "... Or should I just keep calling you a fool, like I have been in my head?"

"You can call me whatever you want, sunshine." I say sweetly, daring not to back down from her attempts to insult me. "... But the name's Poe. Poe Dameron."

"Well, Poe. Poe Dameron." She mocks while tilting her head and explaining. "What did my mother bribe you with this time?"

"What do you mean?" I raise an eyebrow at her while leaning back in my seat. Smirking at me, she waves her cuffed hand and answers. "Oh, you know the usual. If you get my daughter back, I'll give you this mission... This rank... This ship. It's her way of getting resistance members off her back."

"I... Uh..."

I blurt out in slight shock at her words, realizing this isn't the first time Evangeline has dealt with the resistance. She then gives me an amused expression at the sight of my surprised reaction. I did not know Leia has asked others to get Evangeline in return for something.

"Don't feel bad. At least you got farther than most resistance wide-eyed pilots. None of them have been able to get me on their ship. You did." She snorts while tugging lightly at the wrist that's attached to mine. "... Though, if the Guavian Death Gang weren't there, you'd be just like the rest of the mission boys."

"How many times has Leia sent someone from the resistance to get you?" I question while still trying to process her information. Shrugging her shoulder, Evangeline answers while staring out the windows of my cruiser. "A handful, once she even tried herself."

There's silence between us then and her words lingering in the surrounding air. I want to be annoyed, but honestly, what Evangeline is saying sounds like Leia. It's quiet between us for a few minutes as I punch the coordinates to base before something hits me in my mind.

"So... I take it you don't want to be found."

"Oh, wow. You figured that all on your own?"

Evangeline speaks up sarcastically while relaxing in her seat, unbothered by my question. Rolling my eyes at her consistent attitude, I turn to glance at her and find her still staring out the window. Even with the irritated and pouty expression on her face, the Jedi is still very cute, like a baby loth cat.

I should have known Evangeline would be like the most sassy parts of her parents.

"Tell me." Evangeline talks again casually while tilting her head to meet my gaze. "What did my mother offer you?"

"The rank of commander." I mumble under my breath and she let out a light laugh. She nods then with a snarky smirk while saying to herself. "You pilots are all the same..."