For You, Dad... Sure

Evangeline's P.O.V.

"General, I regret to inform you, but this map recovered from BB-8 is only partially complete."

Putting in the memory chip into the control panel, C-3PO explains in regret. Everyone is standing near a round table as the hologram of the map rises into the air over the table. I stand on one side of the table while Poe and Finn stand side by side on the other side.

Finn told me and my mother as much as he could about the First Order and their base moments ago. Though, without having hologram data to show us, everything he's said seems like another language. Luckily, we're waiting for a reconnaissance report to come any time now about the First Order's base.

My mother and father are standing together off to my left by the round table. Staring at the map, I know C-3PO is correct yet again; this isn't the full map to my uncle's location. Letting out a frustrated breath, I cross my arms over my chest, trying to think of Luke's reasoning behind this.

"... And even worse, it matches no charted system on record." C-3PO announces to the group around the table with the map hologram. "We simply do not have enough information to locate master Luke."

"Can't believe I was so foolish to think I could find Luke and bring him home."

I hear my mother mumble to herself in defeat, making me glance away from the hologram. My eyes dart to R2-D2 in the room's corner in low-power mode. None of this makes sense; why would Luke leave his droid and only part of a map?

"Leia." I listen to my father sigh from beside my mother. Next thing I hear is my mother snap boredly and walk away. "Don't do that."

"Do what?"

"Anything."

Rolling my eyes, I shake my head; my parents are together again and they're already bickering. They did all the time when I was growing up, but there was always an undertone of love in their arguments. However, I don't care about their petty fights right now; what I care about is getting the full map to my uncle.

"I'm trying to be helpful." Hearing my father's words, I glance over to him and find him following my mother. Suddenly, mom chuckles and snorts to dad who's behind her. "When did that ever help? And don't say the Death Star."

Clenching my jaw, I stare back at the hologram and try to think of where the rest of the map could be. After a moment, I see a pair of a pilot's eyes looking at me through the hologram. Poe's staring at me with a glum expression from knowing we went through all that trouble of a mission to only have part of a map.

Bitting my bottom lip, I feel the need to look away from Poe, who's across the table in front of me. Though, my gaze won't leave his from knowing he feels the same way I feel right now. I can sense he wants to come over to my side, but doesn't want to push me into utter irritation at our situation.

For only a moment, I allow my expression to soften and become honest about how I feel in front of him. Out of exhaustion, I let him see my defeat, my frustration, my uncertainty; this may be the first time I ever allowed my guard down in front of him. As soon as I show him, my expression turns emotionless again and I walk away from the table.

Stepping away from the table that has part of a hologram map, I notice my parents talking in one corner of the control room. Wandering closer to them, I see confliction and hurt in their expressions. In the following second, I hear my father confess to Leia.

"We lost our son. Forever."

"No. We can still save him." My mom argues in a light tone while shaking her head. "Me. Eva... You."