Not That Person Anymore

Poe's P.O.V.

"General."

I announce all too proudly as I drag Evangeline up to her mother in the battle command sector. We've been walking through the base to get here; well, more like I was walking and Evangeline was dragged like a child. People throughout the base would stop what they're doing at the sight of us, or rather her.

Leia turns around to face us and a smile in awe comes to her face at the sight of her daughter. Her eyes go down to our cuffed hands in surprise before looking at me, impressed. Glancing at Evangeline, I find her watching her mother like she just saw her yesterday.

"Commander."

General Leia finally speaks up before nodding to me, and I stand up straighter at her title with a smile. I hear Evangeline scoff from beside me and I roll my eyes. In the next second, I put the combination code into the cuffs and they fall to the ground.

"It's been a long time... I've missed you, Eva."

Leia then mumbles while stepping closer to her daughter. Evangeline rubs her now free wrist before smiling thinly at her mother. In the next second, Evangeline steps closer to her mother and together they pull each other into a hug.

I lean on the table near them and cross my arms; trying to act like this scene isn't insane. Evangeline acted like a mad at the world the entire trip here, but at first sight of her mother, she acts like an upstanding citizen. Raising my eyebrow at the daughter, I listen to her say.

"Six years... I've missed you too, mom."

"We've really needed you."

Leia then sighs into their hug and Evangeline pulls away from her arms instantly. My heart drops realizing Eva was right; Her mother didn't waste any time in telling her daughter about how we need her to join us. Taking a step back, Evangeline puts her hands on her hips and letting out a sharp hum.

Watching the two Solo women, I see them looking at one another with love yet caution. It dawns on me now that this is no simple reunion; I should've known since Solos and Skywalkers making nothing simple. Tilting her head, Leia adds in a soft, genuine voice.

"I've needed your help. There are things we still can't figure out-"

"Stop dancing around the question, mom." Evangeline grunts before glancing around the room we're in and stepping away from Leia. "I don't know where he is... And I'm not going to look for him."

"You're the only one who would know."

Leia sighs in shame that her daughter already knows what she was planning on asking. Evangeline glances at me with an 'I told you so' look before walking around the room casually. I watch Leia keep her eyes on her daughter as she adds in a motherly tone.

"Eva, you must know something."

"I don't." Evangeline snaps in a harsher tone than before. "... And before you ask. No, I don't have my light saber and I won't become one of your wide-eyed pilots like flyboy over here."

"Love you too, sweetheart."

I pipe up with a dramatic smile and Evangeline glares my way just as Leia sends me a warning expression. Raising my eyebrows, I let out a breath, understanding why the Solo and Skywalker men would leave the women of the family. They don't put up with any bullshit.

"Evangeline, this rebellion needs you." Leia declares frustratedly just as Evangeline walks by me. "We've needed you for the past six years. You must have tried looking for Luke once during that time."

The moment Leia finishes her sentence, Evangeline stops walking and faces me, as if she doesn't want to look at her mother. When our eyes meet, I see the weariness in Eva's eyes. It's almost like Leia's words pile more and more weight onto Evangeline's shoulders.