As Long As We Stay Together

Eva's P.O.V.

"Eva! Eva!"

I hear my brother's voice outside my stone hut, making me sit up in bed. It's late at night, I should be asleep but I've been practicing lifting objects in my room with the force. It's dead silence for a moment before Ben bursts into my room with a giddy smile.

Raising my eyebrows at him curiously, I watch him come to the side of my bed. He plops down in front of me with wide eyes. I open my mouth to ask him what is going on, but he beats me to it by saying.

"Luke's taking us on his mission tomorrow! I heard him talking about it with mom and dad."

"Really?!"

I blurt out in shock as my mouth hangs open and my brother only nods excitedly. Ben and I have never been on a mission before; this would be our first one if he's right. The two of us are seven years old and have been training and living on Yavin 4 since we could walk.

"Yeah! I don't know where, but who cares?" Ben shrugs his shoulders before grabbing my shoulders. Shaking me frantically, Ben then shouts from not being able to hold it in. "We're going on a mission, Eva!"

"We're going on a mission!" 

I repeat giggling while grabbing Ben's arms and shaking him just as hard as he is with me. For a moment, it's dead silence between us as we process what's going to happen tomorrow. In the next second, both of us grin and jump to stand on my bed.

Shrieking together, Ben and I bounce on my bed, shoving each other. Laughing at one another, we try to shove the other one harder. We've been begging Uncle Luke to take us along on one of missions.

It's finally coming true; Ben and I both know what this means, too. This will be the first of many missions to come. Tomorrow is the beginning of the rest of our lives.

"Can you believe it?!" Ben screams at me while holding onto me as we jump on the bed. Shaking my head with a wide grin, I shout. "No! Can you believe it?!"

"No!"

He yells back at me, and we burst out laughing from our answers. However, in the next second, my smile drops and I stop bouncing. Ben frowns at my expression and stops jumping to in concern.

"What if we screw up tomorrow and Luke never takes us on a mission again?" I speak up, realizing this mission is a test for us. "We could mess up and-"

"Don't worry about that, Eva. We have each other." Ben snorts while touching my shoulder. "What's the worse that can happen? We're Skywalkers."

"Ben. We're Solos." 

I correct him while sending him a look and he rolls his eyes, knowing our dad has a tendency to screw up a lot. We may have the powerful Skywalker gene, but we also have the reckless solo gene. Letting out a breath and resting a hand on my shoulder, Ben speaks up more carefully than before.

"Okay, you're right... But think about it, Dad has Chewie and things always work out for them. You have me and I have you. We'll look out for one another like they do." Ben sends me a look, knowing he's right, and I smirk and tilt my head. My brother then lifts his hand for me to shake while saying. "We're in this together. Messes and all. Deal?"

"Deal."

Blinking my eyes open and holding back a sob, I try to get the memory out of my head. Glancing around, I see star-fighters flying in the sky for a training exercise with the new recruits. I'm on top of the base's roof, having my morning meditation.