You Can't Escape Me

Evangeline's P.O.V.

Sprinting as fast as I can through the forest, I feel the ground breaking with each step I take. I'm about to turn past a tree when I feel Ben yank at my cloak. Falling backwards and landing on my back, I see a glimpse of red above me.

Without thinking, I raise my saber above me before Ben's saber touches my skin. My brother stands above me, pushing his blade closer to my neck. Groaning while laying on my back, I try to keep our sabers away from me.

"You've become weak." Ben spits out while leaning further over me. "... And I've outgrown you."

I let out a whimper when feeling the heat from our sabers near my neck. Peering up at Ben's covered face, I stare at him as if I'm mourning for my brother. A second later, his blade burns through my cloak, but before it can meet my skin; I kick his knee, forcing him to stumble back.

The second I jump to my feet, Ben spins his saber at me and I lift my hand instantly. My free hand grabs his wrist that has the hand holding his saber and his other hand does the same with mine. We both hold the wrists that hold our light sabers, trying to control the other's movement.

Turning slowly together, Ben and I try to keep the other's light saber away from ourselves. His saber's pointed toward the sky and my blade's aimed at the ground. Grunting, I try to keep his saber from me as he tries to bring it close as he can.

We stare at one another, breathing heavily while trying to overpower the other. Snow is all over his helmet and I'm sure my hair and face look the same from being out here. My hands are shaking from my brother's strength and my footing is slipping from the ground, shifting violently.

"Sweetheart!"

I abruptly hear a familiar voice echo through the forest as Ben and I keep a grip on each other's wrist. My heart skips a beat from knowing whose voice and the pet-name belongs to. Poe came back for me; he's somewhere around here looking for me.

Glancing in the direction I heard his voice, I feel the need to cry in astonishment that someone would gamble their life just to come find me. Out of everyone, wide eye pilot Poe Dameron came for me; he actually came looking for me on this crumbling planet. Not thinking twice, I kick my brother in the chest and pull apart from him.

Turning in the direction I heard Poe call out to me, I sprint towards it as fast as my legs will allow me. Leaving my brother behind, I rush past trees as patches of the ground break into pieces. It feels like every step I take puts another crack in the ground.

I keep running one way without slowing my pace, and it doesn't take long for me to see where the forest ends. Through the trees I see part of a starfighter in the snowfield near the forest. Sprinting faster than before from the sight of the resistance starfighter, I shut down my light saber and continue passing tall thin trees.

Though I can hear Ben running behind me, I ignore the sound of his boots and continue in my path to the starfighter. When I'm a few yards away from the edge of the forest, I see a glimpse of Poe through tree branches. It's only when I see Dameron's face through the trees that I comprehend how scared I've been out here alone with my brother.

Letting out a sob with a quivering smile as I run, I find Poe's gaze between trees in the distance. His eyes widen when seeing me through the trees running towards him. Taking a few steps in my direction, Poe then shouts frantically with a stern tone.

"You're going to have to jump, Eva!"

I'm confused at his words for a second until I see the ground between the forest and snowfield broken apart. Both sides are yards apart and in between them is a deep void that if I fell in, I wouldn't survive it. Looking back up at Poe in the distance, I see him standing right at the edge of the crack.