Don't Be Afraid

Poe's P.O.V.

"Don't be afraid."

I mumble while peeking over at Evangeline and put the cruiser on auto-pilot. Eva's sitting beside me in the co-pilot's seat and BB-8 is on the floor between us. Glancing over at me, Eva blurts out in a faint voice.

"I'm not afraid." 

We've just now reached the Coruscant system; it won't be long until we land on the planet. Eva and I have said little on our trip to Coruscant. We just been flying peacefully through the galaxy with wondering minds.

"You're fiddling with your fingers, sweetheart." 

I point out in a knowing tone while my eyes dart from Eva's face to her hands. Letting out a defeated breath, Evangeline relaxes her hands in her lap and looks out the window at the planet we're heading to. Patting a finger on her thigh, Eva finally admits why she's fidgeting.

"I haven't been to a council meeting in decades."

"You've gone to meetings like this before?" I think out loud in surprise, and she simply nods. Bitting her bottom lip, Evangeline tries to hold back a smirk as I mumble. "I didn't know that."

"There's a lot you don't know about me." 

The Jedi teases before peering over to me and sending a bored look with a crooked smile. Rolling my eyes dramatically, I snort; of course, there's more to Evangeline than I thought. When your uncle is the last Jedi, your mother is a Princess/Senator/General and your father is a smuggler/war hero; you tend to have a variety of skills from just growing up around them.

"When I was little... My mother would bring me along to meet with senators and council members." Evangeline explains casually while trying to not to make a big deal of it. "Back then, the Republic was rebuilding itself and squeezing out people who were loyal to the Empire. I learned many things from watching my mother when she was a Senator."

"Oh, like what?" 

I mutter curiously while peeping over at her with a gentle expression. This may be the first time Eva willingly opened up about her past. So I'm going to do my best not to piss her off or make some wide-eyed pilot remark.

"Like how boring it was to be a Senator."

Evangeline mumbles with an entertained smirk, causing me to burst out laughing. When our eyes meet, I can't help look at her with an amused, but a surprised smile. Eva's actually cracking jokes; usually her jokes are threats or low blows aimed at me.

"Though it may have been boring, I learned the significance of being a Senator." 

She hums out and glances away from me as her expression changes. Rubbing her jaw, Eva tilts her head and stares at the planet in front of us. My eyes keep going back and forth from Evangeline and Coruscant, from not wanting to miss this rare moment of her being vulnerable.

"I learned they are essential to keep the Republic a democracy." She whispers while leaning back in her seat and shrugging her shoulders. "If they lose their voice... The people lose their freedom."

"Ever thought about becoming a Senator?"

I ask innocently while tilting my head and giving her my best friendly smile. If Eva will answer my questions without becoming defensive, I'll keep asking them. I want to see how long it will last until I get the usual cranky Jedi I've known for months now.

"I humored the idea for a time." Eva sighs tiredly before smiling to herself and mumbling. "However... The Force called upon me for a different purpose... A purpose I no longer understand."