Leave It Unspoken

Luke's P.O.V.

... She is still standing after all this time and picking up the pieces of this fallen world, just as I did before her.

Smiling at the sight in front of me, I let out a thin breath while remembering how I was at Evangeline's age. Back in the day, I had the galaxy on my shoulders, kept my head high through all my struggles, let the force guide me on the right path, and trusted in my friends. Which is what I see Evangeline doing at this very moment and I can't be prouder of her.

Standing off to the side on a hangar at the Resistance base, I watch everyone come together and celebrate today's victory. After rescuing Poe, Rey and Eva in the arena, the Resistance ships destroyed half of the cloning base before retreating. Good men and women died today to save a Commander, a Padawan, and a Jedi Knight, along with damaging the First Order's cloning facility.

All of which deserve to be celebrated and honored.

Yards away from me in the hangar is a group of friends with hope radiating around them like a burning star. Though the hangar is full and stuffed with people, the group in the center shines the brightest to me. I can't take my eyes off the band of friends from feeling as if I'm looking at a memory of me and my friends. 

Rey and Finn are hugging and shoving one another while leaking laughs that echo through the hanger. Beside them are BB-8 and R2-D2, both of them are swinging side to side as if they're dancing. Grogu is clapping his hands at the two dancing droids and chuckling as if it can't get any better than this. 

... And then there is Poe and Eva.

Poe has a million credit smile on his lips as he sweeps Eva off her feet. I can faintly hear her giggling at him with a rare genuine smile that I haven't seen in a long time. The two are close beside Grogu and the droids, but it's as if nothing can pull their attention away from one another. 

The commander has one arm wrapped around Eva's thighs with the other arm around her waist. He spins her around in the air while holding her against his chest and he peppers kisses all over her jaw in pure happiness that they are both alive. The Jedi is holding onto Poe's shoulders while taking in the affection without an ounce of fight in her.

The group reminds me so much of...

"Looks like the good old days..." I suddenly hear Han's voice from beside me. "Doesn't it?"

Forcing my gaze off of the young group of kids, I find Han walking towards me with Leia and Chewie. Han has one arm slung around my sister's shoulders as Chewie stands beside them. As the three of them come up to me, my smile widens at the sight of all of us together again.

"Yeah." I sigh and nod my head once to Han before peering back over at Evangeline's friends. The three of them come to stand on either side of me as I whisper in appreciation and to no one in particular. "It does."

"Like it should be." 

Leia hums out with a smirk while glancing around at Chewie, Han, and me. We've all just come back from escaping the First Order and there is much to be done, but none of us wants to leave this feeling we haven't felt in years. It's been so long since the four of us were together and no one wants to be the first to break apart.

The four of us watch the kids celebrating with each other in the distance like it's a sight for sore eyes. Han's smirking at the group while Leia is grinning from ear to ear and Chewie is chuckling at the scene. With a crooked smile, I glance at my family and get the sudden feeling this is a turning point for everyone.

We're all together again and I don't see anything changing that anytime soon. I sense from this day forth, we're going to stick together for the sake of the galaxy, for the sake of Eva and her friends. Evangeline is the reason we're all together now and she will be the reason we stay together.