Chapter 39

I know, I know. It's been a very long time. I'm sorry about that, but this is a really busy time for me. I love that you want updates, and most of you are really great about it. Those of you that have threatened to stop reading, that's up to you.

Anyway, if the spacing is weird, Wattpad did something crazy with their writing tool and it confused me. I double spaced it in editing, but it might be too spaced out now. Sorry about that.

Well, hope you like it. I'm thinking Chapter 40 and an epilogue. Only time will tell.........

************************************************************************

DREW

It had been a week since Johnny had been beaten to a pulp in the school parking lot, a week since Leesy had confessed to me about cheating on Adam, a week since I'd been carrying my grandma's ring around with me waiting for the right time to propose to Emily. Christmas was in two weeks, so I thought I might go for a Christmas Eve or Christmas day proposal. I wasn't sure yet, though.

"What are you thinking about?" Emily asked me.

We were in the living room of my house. My parents were out to dinner, and Leesy was at school. Mitzy lay on the sofa beside Emily, staring at Em as Em pet her belly.

"Oh, alot of things," I said. It was a Saturday afternoon, and we had passed up an afternoon out with the Ken and Barbie brigade in exchange for some cuddling time on the sofa.

"Like?" she asked, waiting for a response and leaning back into me.

"Like why Adam has decided to continue ruining my sister's life," I said.

Adam had listened to Leesy's confession, deciding that he could date her despite her indiscretion. I had secretly hoped he would break up with her and let her get on with her life. I still couldn't stand the guy, and it sometimes even bothered me that Em was friends with him.

"He's not ruining Leesy's life," she said, looking somewhat irritated.

"Well, being the father of your sister's baby has sure made him boyfriend of the year material," I said.

"Listen, it's not like Leesy's all that innocent, either. She's lucky he took her back!" she said, getting louder. Mitzy's ears perked up on her head and she lifted her head up, staring at the both of us.

"At least she didn't search some poor drunk, horny sap out at a party and throw herself at him," I said.

I was mad that Em could not see that Ellie had acted like a slut at that party. I was even more upset that she was dragging Leesy down to Ellie's level.

"Yeah, well, Leesy cheated on Adam, you know," she said, staring at me.

"And Ellie cheated on me!" I screamed.

"Yeah, well, at least Ellie only made one mistake," Em said, standing up. "Plus, I seem to recall someone trying to kiss me when he was still dating my sister."

She was right. I probably would have ended up doing more than kissing her that night if she would have let me. I remember how needy I had been for her affection. I chose to ignore her jab at me for the time being.

"Leesy only made one mistake, too. Well, if you don't count dating dumb old Adam as a mistake. That would make two," I said.

Em turned toward me. "Adam is not dumb!" she said, beginning to turn red.

"He is definitely dumb," I shot back. "I can't even figure out why you're friends with him."

Her mouth dropped open, and the slight blush on her face turned to a fiery red. "I'm friends with him because while you were dating my sister and I was feeling sorry for myself, he was the only guy willing to befriend and support me. Your sister, Adam, and I were each others' support system for years. The years you were busy wooing my sister," she said.