Chapter 11

Here's the next chapter.......thanks so much for reading! 

Pic on right is Hayden Byerly as Justin.

************************************************************************************************************************

DREW

After an hour at Urgent Care, I was finally able to leave. They had diagnosed me with a very mild concussion and a bruised arm. They had said that I'd be okay to play the next day. I walked into the waiting room. Em was sitting there, a magazine open in her lap. When she caught sight of me, she jumped up and ran over to me. I had wanted her to come in with me, but I had felt weird asking if she would. Instead, she sat here, waiting for my return.

As she approached me, she asked, "Did they figure out what's wrong?"

I looked down at her big, blue eyes gazing at me questioningly. "It's a mild concussion and an injured arm. No big deal," I explained.

She smiled. "I'm glad it isn't something more serious. Do you still want to go to my house for dinner tonight? If you don't, we can go over tomorrow instead," she stated.

"No, I'm fine," I said. "Besides, there's the game tomorrow night, and my party."

"Oh yeah, I forgot about that," she commented.

I was actually dreading the party, but I wanted to make Ellie happy. I thought maybe it would distract her from her sexual fantasies. I had little interest in sleeping with Ellie lately, but felt the need to let her down easily.

************

A few hours later, we were sitting at the Martins' dining room table. I sat across from Em, with Ellie on my right and nine-year-old Jeffy on my left. Justin, who is twelve, sat to Em's right. Mrs. Martin sat at the end of the table closest to her sons, while Mr. Martin occupied the chair at the other table head.

As we sat down to eat, Em made a comment about my clumsiness on the field that afternoon. Everyone chuckled a little.

Ellie exclaimed, "My poor baby," making a slight scene, and kissing my head as she held it between her hands.

That embarrassed me a little, and I wished she'd stop. I caught sight of Em's slightly disgusted expression, and almost laughed out loud. I was thinking exactly what she was expressing. I knew she'd bring it up later. I still couldn't get over how easy it was getting to hold an interesting conversation with Emily. I enjoyed talking to her.

"Drew!" I heard Ellie yell.

"What?" I asked, unable to hide the irritation in my voice.

"I think your concussion made you deaf. I've been talking to you for the past five minutes. Did you even hear a word I've said?" she asked, the annoyance clear in her voice.

"Um, no," I admitted. "I guess I was lost in thought."

"About what? He's been such a space cadet lately," she explained to her family.

I know I've been a little off lately, but, try as I might, I couldn't control it.

"Football," I lied.  I didn't actually know what I'd been thinking about.

After we were finished eating, Mrs. Martin and Em got up from the table to bring out the dessert. Ellie, Jeffy, and Mr. Martin excused themselves to go to the bathroom. That left Justin and me at the table. I could feel him staring at me, so I looked back at him.

"So," he began, "how long have you been in love with my sister?"

"Well," I replied, "I've been dating her since sixth grade, so..."