Chapter 31 - Drew

Okay...I'm back.  This should be after the auhor's note, bu I'll have to fix i later.  I had Drew's whole part of the chapter written....then when I posted, it was all messed up.  Anyway, I've tried my best to rewrite it.  I might change a little in a day or 2, but for now, I think this will be good.  I have decided to split chapter 31 up into each person's POV.  The first is Drew's.  So, if it seems short, the next one should be posted within the week.  I hope you like it!  

*******************************************************************************************

DREW

Not long after I saw Emily, I was back to where I'd started - in the waiting room. My parents had run home to get some of my overnight things, and Adam came in a few minutes after they left. He walked over and sat down on the sofa next to me.

"I think you need to go apologize to Ellie," he said, looking at me like he might hit me.

"Huh?" I asked. With thoughts of Emily's unmoving form clouding my mind, there was no room for any other type of rational thought.

"You need to apologize to Ellie. She's in there blaming herself for what happened, and you know that it could have happened to anyone," he said.

Oh. That. I guess I had been a little mean to Ellie. Maybe he was right.

"I guess I was a little bit harsh with her," I admitted.

"You need to fix it," he said.

Whoa. When did he sign up for the job of Ellie's body guard?

"A little protective of your one night stand, there, Adam?" I asked.

"Hey, she's more than just....." he started.

"Oh, I get it," I said. "You're getting sweet on her again. Don't you dare hurt my sister."

"I'm not sweet on her," he said. "I'm just worried about her. Aren't you? You dated her for 6 years."

He had a point. "I am worried about her, being pregnant and all. It's just that I can't stop thinking about Em. I need her to wake up."

"I know. I'm worried about Em, too. It's just that we can't neglect Ellie. She's having a really hard time with all of this. All those years of being obsessed with her let me know that she has a sweet side underneath all of her selfish exterior," he said.

"I know. Why do you think I stayed with her all that time? She wasn't all bad," I said truthfully.

"Will you just go talk to her? Make her feel better?" he asked.

"Sure," I said, standing up and heading toward Ellie's room. I stopped, then turned toward Adam. "If my parents come back, will you let them know where I went?"

"Sure thing," he said. "I'll be here until they let me visit Em or until your sister gets here. Whichever happens last."

I really hated that he and Elise were together. I wasn't sure where I wanted him to be. It would be best for the baby if he ended up with Ellie, but he would break my sister's heart if he left her. For the time being, I guess I had to hope that he stayed with Elise, even if I didn't like the guy. If he crushed her feelings, I might have to hurt him.

As I approached Ellie's room, I became nervous. I felt terrible for accusing her of causing Em's pain. I knew that although Ellie could be selfish, she did have a calm, sensitive side. I'm pretty sure that's how I was able to stay with her for so long. Her obsession with sex lately had taken over, though, and made it uncomfortable for me to date her. When I reached her doorway, I knocked lightly on the doorframe.