Chapter 16

Tai couldn't believe what she just heard. "A test on Monday. But I thought exam week was over." I handed her the phone back. "I just got a date."

"Another date?" Diana's eyes sparkled. "With who?"

Tai leaned over. "One of the sinners. Aleksei."

"Oh my god." Diana slapped her arm and laughed. "You're so bad. How are you attracting all these guys? Quickly tell me, when are you going out, how did this happen?"

Tai hugged the towel. "Just now. He wants us to go somewhere this weekend."

"Oh, what are you going to do about Monday then? There might be a glitch in the system or we all simply failed the exam. I'm still going to study. I was going to suggest you do that too."

"I don't want to cancel it," Tai whined.

Diana patted her back in condolences. "Good luck with your decision."

Tai sighed. Just what was she going to do?

***

Aleksei waited impatiently by his car for Tai to arrive. He glanced at his wristwatch one more time and then tried to look cool while leaning on the car. He never knew he could feel this much excitement for a date.

When he finally spotted her, he did not expect the dark stocking and the leather jacket. The combo with her polished clothes almost gave him a heart attack.

"Right on time." Aleksei opened the car door waiting for her to get it. That was a really short skirt, he noticed.

He walked over to the other side in a hurry and got into the car, playing it cool. He turned on the radio and smoothly backed out the car out of the parking spot.

"So the botanic garden." She started the conversation first. "I've never been there."

"I heard it's pretty nice there. Good thing the weather is sunny today." Aleksei answered. Short and sweet answers, he reminded himself. No teasing her today.

She smiled and looked out the car window. She was a bit nervous herself, but she couldn't help but look forward to it.

Her phone started going off so she pulled it out of her bag in a hurry. Diana was sending her pictures of all the material she had highlighted and answers she thought were going to be on the re-exam. Tai reminded herself to get something for Diana on the way back. She was a real lifesaver. The pictures kept arriving on her phone, making the notification sound on repeat. Tai quickly turned it on to vibrate.

"Damn. Who is the avid texter?"

"It's just my roommate." Tai laughed. "She is keeping me updated on the notes she's making for the exam on Monday."

"I thought all the class groups were done with exams."

"Yes, but half of my class including me, failed the Chemistry exam and now the professor is making us retake the exam on Monday."

"What?" He turned towards her in shock. "Don't you have to study for it?."

Tai chuckled innocently. "But I have a date today. Hence the notes."

Aleksei was touched. She went out of her way to enjoy the date instead of canceling it. She liked him that much, to skip studying? He was so happy he didn't expect the feelings to be that overwhelming. But as he kept driving he reminded himself. Didn't he swear he was going to be the nice guy today? Do everything properly in the given situation. He can't just let her fail.

He glanced at the rearview mirror and then grabbed the steering wheel, making a whole u-turn, going back.

"Huh, what are we doing?" Tai was looking around confused.