Chapter 25

"You can't just break things off." Zakhar followed Aleksei around the house while he was preparing to meet Tai.

"I have to. I had deluded myself into thinking I can just not tell Tai and date her in peace, but now that Kasimir saw her...What if I keep dating her and then he tells her about my past. I can't risk it."

"Are you going to make up an excuse as to why you can't see her then?" Zakhar blocked his path.

Aleksei stopped moving. "No. That will hurt her and I promised that if anything I would never deliberately hurt her. I will honestly talk to her without telling her why I have to break up with her."

"I still don't get it why you have to do what your brother tells you. You never listen to anyone. You barely listen to me."

"I have to listen to him. I owe him that."

"Why do you owe him, I don't understand what it is you did that was so horrible, you do everything he asks of you."

Aleksei tried to break through the path, but Zakhar was not moving from the door frame. "It's bad okay. I deserve all that he does. It's fine."

"Just tell me."

"You 'll see me differently."

"Just tell me so I can understand why I should support you in this decision when I know how happy you are with Tai."

Aleksei took a deep breath and nodded. "Alright. I'll tell you what happened."

After hearing the story Zakhar rubbed his face nervously and then looked at Aleksei. "That is beyond fucked up."

"Yeah."

"I speak from experience Aleksei. Some things you just cannot go through alone. Lev and I can only go so far."

"You already did plenty for me. If it wasn't for you I would still be in the dark mental space right now."

"So trust me one more time. This is only going to hurt both of you. You already made the decision to date her and now you can't just cut things off. Talk to Tai. Tell her what's bothering you and..."

"I can't ask her to understand me, which I know she will when even I hate myself for it. So let it go Zakhar and don't mention it ever again."

"Fine. It's your call." Zakhar looked at the time and realized he couldn't hold up Aleksei anymore. "I just hope you won't regret this."

***

The joy on his face when he met her, erased any worries Tai had before the date. Aleksei seemed in good spirits.

He made jokes, complimented her carefully chosen outfit, and took her hand as they entered the botanic garden.

The botanic garden at sunset was like a dreamland for fantasy lovers. It was as if every carefully grown leaf and petal was home to a fairy, or carrying some magical powers that enchanted visitors. The road that carried them around the garden was covered with iron bars and roses wrapped around the bars, over their heads. It was the most perfect place for lovers.

The firefly-like lights lit up the garden as the sun was slowly dying down. The garden was becoming engulfed in the last golden sunrays and the shadows of the night sky. The dark hues of the sky were creating a mysterious aura around the already exotic flowers. The silence was present between them since the moment they started their tour.