2. HIS First Semester

Aarush wasn't quick to make friends and it took him a whole semester to find his buddy for life Abhay Rathore. Apart from his father's friend's children, Cabir and Navya's son Viren Dhawan, Abhi and Mukthi's daughter Avni Murthy, Dhruv and Alia's son Daksh Vedant, he was never too close with any of his school friends. But with Abhay, he felt this instant connection and it only deepened day by day.

One evening, Aarush returned home in an angry and disappointed face and didn't wish his grandparents who were in the living room, like he used to.

They looked at each other and called Nandini, who accompanied Manik to office as she goes only when it's much needed and hectic.

"Jii Maa..." She answered Shobhana's call while looking at her laptop.

"Aarush came home...and...he seems to be upset about something...He didn't even talk to us..." Shobhana said and Nandini stopped her work for a second.

"Maa...Might be some college thing...We will talk once we are back...You please give him his strawberry milkshake...Favorite hai toh I think he will be fine till we come..." Nandini said and cut the call.

The next call was from Aarush's friend Abhay. She frowned looking at the name and answered the call.

"Haan bolo Abhay" She asked and Abhay narrated what happened in the college. She sighed and said "Thanks Abhay...I'll take care..."

"It's okay Aunty..." he said and cut the call while Nandini went to Manik's cabin and knocked at his door. Once he permitted, she entered and called him "Manik"

When he heard 'Manik' from her and not 'Sir' in office, he understood that it's their personal matter and mostly about Aarush.

"Bolo Nandu" He asked working on his laptop.

"It's about Aarush...I think he needs us..." She said and he looked up from the screen and Nandini explained what Abhay has told her.

Manik sighed and said "Let him deal and analyse it himself for some time...We'll leave in an hour..."

Nandini nodded as she too knows that own space is much needed whatever matter it is. Imposing one's opinions or consoling time to time only increases the person's frustration and dependency on other person. They believed Aarush is smart enough to clear his mind and will vent out in right way by the time they reach home.

Manik and Nandini reached home after some time and looked at the elder ones who shrugged their shoulders and said that he didn't speak or come out of his room.

"I'll see..." Nandini said and went to his room and knocked at the door. Upon getting no response, she opened the door only to witness a messy room unlike Aarush's tidy one.

"Aaru...Bacha...What's all this...!??" She asked stepping in middle of the scattered clothes and went to sit beside him. Aarush sat resting his back to the headboard, closing his eyes and didn't even look at his mother.

"Aaru...Is everything okay...!??" She asked and he opened his eyes only to look away from his mother and nodded his head. She brushed his hairs and said "You know na...you can share anything with us..."

"Nothing Mumma...Please leave...I'll be fine..." He said in a disappointed tone and she understood that he only listens to Manik now.

By the time she turned to leave, Manik was at the door and she shrugged her shoulders indicating that he didn't open up.

"Let me try..." He said and sat beside Aarush who instantly hugged his shoulder making Nandini smile in relief that Manik will take care now.

"You wanna talk Aarush...!?" Manik asked after a brief silence and Aarush said "I...I'm sorry dad..."

Manik frowned hearing him and cupped his face to his teary eyes.

"Kya hua bacha...!??" Manik asked being concerned.

"1st semester results are out...and...I..." Aarush stopped and looked at his father and Manik signed him to continue.

"I...I'm not the topper...I stood 4th in my department...Dad...My goal was to join in that college...and now I feel like, I'm not taking my goal seriously..." He finished looking down, not meeting his father's eyes.

Manik smiled a little and wiped his about to be fallen tears and made him look at him.

"Aarush...First thing...Like I always said, never bend your head unless and until you make a mistake...Get that...!?" Manik asked and Aarush nodded his head.

"Now...Coming to the present...Tell me something Aarush...Is your goal to join in that college...!?? Or to graduate and become doctor from that college...!??" Manik asked and Aarush face has a hit of realization.

"I think you understood what I'm asking...and I believe you have an answer as well...So...Aarush...Focus on your goal...which is...!?" Manik asked and Aarush replied "To graduate and become doctor from that college..."

"Good...Now coming to your rank in your department...What's your department's strength...!?? I mean out of how many students you stood 4th...!??" Manik asked.

"Nearly 350 students Dad..." He replied and Manik said "See...There are 346 members behind you and you have crossed all of them...And you just have 3 members in front of you...Can't you cross them my love...!??"

Aarush smiled after a long day and hugged his father while Manik rubbed his back and said "Remember Aarush...Grades and ranks are just an institution's formality...All it matters is how much knowledge you gain...Focus on your studies and not ranks...And you need to be sportive darling...I can understand...You always topped in your class and now that having someone ahead of you is a setback...But...you have to know that there will be many more Aarushs across the world...and there's no need to defeat everyone...Win in your own race...Just like you beat your own high score in a game...Understand...!??"

Aarush nodded and said "Thank you so much Dad..."

He ruffled his hairs and said "If you are okay now, come and talk to dada, dadi and Nani...They are waiting..."

"Jii Dad...I'll freshen up and come..." Aarush said and Manik went downstairs.

"Is he okay...!??" Nandini asked once she saw Manik and he nodded with a smile and said "Just got upset with his semester results..."

"Ohhh" The elder people chorused and sighed in relief when Aarush joined them and had a family dinner.

Ignore mistakes...