37. indistinct

George POV

I was waiting outside the school, together with Karl and Clay, for Nick who had been called to the principal after lesson. Karl sat on the ground, leaning against the wall and stared down at his phone, doing whatever. Clay and I leaned on the wall as well, but we stood and our lips gave each other sweet company.

It was really just gentle kissing. While his right hand was in his pocket, his left arm was on my shoulder, reaching around to my other shoulder behind my neck. One of my hands touched his cheek gently, the other one in my pocket as well.
Our lips slowly gave each other soft kisses, our breaths staying even and calm.

"You're really cute together."
"Jesus!", I yelled up again. Gosh, why was I so easily startled?
Clay turned around, so we both looked at the little girl in front of us.

"Hm?", Clay raised an eyebrow, as if trying to ask 'What do you want?'.
"What happened?", Karl looked up to us confused.
"Hey, I'm Ruby", Ruby reached her hand down to him, receiving a nice handshake.
"Ruby,...who?", Karl looked back and forth between us and her.

"Remember Floris?", I asked, waiting for a nod to continue, "His sister." I nodded to Ruby.
"What?", Karl hissed, giving her a disgusted glance.
"Don't worry. I don't think she's like him...or at least not as horrible as him", I expressed my opinion on her, still not sure if I was really thinking so.

"Well, you shouldn't judge someone because of their brother's actions, hm?", he smiled at her, receiving one of her cute grins.
"So, what ya doing?", she began wiping up and down on her feet.
"Waiting for a friend", I explained, pointing to the school.

"Why don't you go home or to your friends?", Clay smiled at her. Not with a real smile, it was more likely like 'Go away now' or something.
"Oh, yeah", she chuckled, sounding painful inside.

"Are you okay?", I spoke, listening to my instinct.
"Well, I don't- I don't actually have that many friends", she glanced at the floor, fidgeting around with her fingers.
"I'm sorry", I smiled in slight pity.

"Don't believe a single word coming out of her mouth", Clay pulled me to him and whispered into my ear.
"Stop it", I frowned at him.

"I- I also wanted to thank you guys", she continued talking, looking back up to us.
"For?", I raised my eyebrows.
"You know, I'm bisexual. And a lot of people didn't really...accept that. I've been getting bullied for some time", she spoke, not stopping to smile. Did she force that on her lips or was it genuine? I couldn't tell.
"And when you guys came out and stayed so...well, strong, I finally had the strength to stand up for myself and people started to support me as well", she continued, "And I'm not the only one that happened to."

"What, really?", my eyes widened and my eyebrows raised.
"Yes, we don't have much people here that are other than straight and out yet, and those who are, thank you for fighting the homophobic", she giggled cutely.
I had never known that Clay and I actually encouraged people for their...gayness?

"Uhm...thank you I guess", Clay seemed surprised himself.
"What about me and Nick? We've been a couple longer than you", Karl commented.
"I don't know", I laughed.
"I haven't known about you before I knew Clay and George", Ruby shrugged her shoulders at him.

"How old are you Ruby?", Clay suddenly stepped forward and asked this random question, confusing me.
"Euh, 17, why?", she raised her eyebrows in confusion and curiosity, I suppose.
"Just wanted to know", he nodded, looking away.
Ruby frowned, throwing me a glance. I just shrugged my shoulders.

"You won't fucking beli- who's that?", suddenly Nick appeared next to us.
"Nick, Ruby. Ruby, Nick", I sighed. Ruby gave him a small wave, smiling shyly. Nick waved back, grinning at her, maybe thinking she was cute, how was I supposed to know.

"However", he turned to Clay and me, "The principal asked if I would like to join the rugby team!"
"What? But there's not much time left until we leave school anyway", Clay frowned.
"I know! He said my P.E. teacher suggested me to him, because I am such a fast runner. So I told him I won't be in school for much longer, but he suggested it anyways."

"So, what did you say?", Clay asked.
"Of course I said yes! Hanging out with my best buddy in rugby, how could I miss this?!", Nick wrapped his arm around Clay, patting his back aggressively.
"Have you ever played it before?", Clay giggled.
"Nope, but you're gonna teach me, nah?", Nick seemed so excited about it, making me chuckle.

As they continued talking, I caught Ruby smiling at me in the corner of my eye. I turned my glance to her, blinking in confusion and tilting my head to the side. As she noticed me, she shook her head, turning her look to Clay and Nick. I couldn't supress a smile. Maybe she wasn't that bad...

"Alright, let's go babe. We gotta study for chemistry", Nick eventually grabbed his boyfriend, walking off with him.
"See you guys!", Karl waved to us with a smile.
"Bye", I laughed, returning the wave.

"Before you leave too", Ruby put her hands in front of us as I just wanted to follow Clay to the car, "I wanted to ask you something. And please don't immediately say no, give it a chance. A thought."
"Just ask", I chuckled, receiving a frown from Clay.

"Okay, so I'm throwing a party this weekend-"
"No interest", Clay cut her off, grabbing my wrist and trying to pull me away with him.
"Hey! Let her talk, you can't answer for both of us", I tore my arm away from him, turning back to Ruby.

"Aaaand", she continued after exchanging looks with Clay, "I was wondering if you...might like to come? You don't have to say yes immediately! Just sleep on it, think it over calmly, no compulsion to anything. But just think about it. There are a few classmates from this school, from my old school and friends from Floris. At my house, wait a minute, I'll write down the address for you."

She took out a note and a pencil, writing it down and handing it to me.
"I'll think about it", I smiled.
"Thank you", she sighed in relief.

"We gotta go now. You want to study, don't you?", Clay grumbled, his glance at the ground.
"Yeah, you're right. Alright, see you Ruby."
"Have a good day!", she beamed after us as we walked off to the car.

____________________________________________

~1.128 words~