38. party

George POV

"C'mon", I shook Clay's shoulder, groaning.
"No George", he sat on the bed, arms crossed and stared at the wall, avoiding eye contact.
"Spoilsport", I pouted, letting go of him.

"I'm not a spoilsport George. I'm trying to protect you", his eyes finally fell on me.
"From what?", I scoffed, crossing my arms and blinking at him. He was exaggerating.
"From fucking Floris!", he spread his arms to the sides and stared at me like it'd be that obvious.
"I'm not trying to step in a trap Clay! It's just a party! And also, Floris wasn't the one inviting me. It was Ruby!", I defended my words.

"She's his sister!", he raised his voice.
"And?! She never did anything, did she?! You're judging her based on her brother!"
"You don't know anything about her!"
"Fine, then I'll go alone!", were my last words before leaving the bedroom.

"George, come on", Clay stood up, walking after me.
"I'm not forcing you to come with me, but I will go", I continued my way to the door.
"George", he grabbed my wrist, holding me back.
"I think she deserves at least a chance!", I turned to him aggressively.

"But why?", he looked so disappointed and exhausted.
"Because she's a human too, Clay. Just like you and me. She never did anything bad to me or you, or anyone! I wanna get to know her. Maybe, in the end, you might be right, but to know that, I have to find it out", I was fully convinced of my opinion.

"George, I don't trust her", his voice spoke softly as he began to caress my hand.
"Well, that's your problem then", I hissed at him, tearing my arm away before continuing my way to my shoes. It was pretty mild outside, a jacket wouldn't be necessary.

"Please don't let this girl break us apart", I heard behind me. With a shocked expression, I turned back to him.
"She's not fucking breaking us apart Clay! You're doing that! If you're not interested in going to that party, then stay! Fucking stay! I can go on my fucking own!", I yelled at him.

Not waiting for a reaction, I put on my shoes and grabbed the door knob.
"Wait. I'm coming", he said dryly, leaning down to grab his shoes.
"Really?", I glanced at him surprised, but in disbelief.
"Yes."

As we arrived at the address Ruby had given me, we got out of the car, glancing at the huge house.
"Money money, hm?", I raised an eyebrow.
"Ehh", Clay frowned, tilting his head, "I got more." Then his lips formed to a smirk.
"Your parents Clay. Your parents", I couldn't supress a small grin.
With a cute giggle, he walked to me, wrapping an arm around my shoulders.

It was 7 in the afternoon, it was pleasant and bright outside. I had decided not to stay longer than 2 hours. Did I intend...

"George, you came! And Clay, you too!", Ruby greeted us warmly at the front door, wrapping me in a lovely hug.
"Of course we came", I smiled, returning the gesture of friendliness.
As soon as she let go of me and waved us in, Clay decided to stay as close as possible by my side. He always had contact with me, was holding my hand or arm, or had his arm wrapped around me.

"Drinks are over there, here's the living room where most of the party is happening, the bathroom is over here and upstairs second door at the right, [...]", Ruby explained and showed us around.
"Almost as big as your house", I told Clay through the loud crowd.
"Not even almost", he just rolled his eyes.

"Look, I hate Floris just as much as you do, maybe even more. We don't even have to run across his path, let alone have anything to do with him", I tried to relax him.
"I hope you're right", he sighed.

"Have fun guys. If you need something, Floris and I should always be found around here", she smiled before leaving us on our own.
"No thanks, we'll avoid him as much as possible", I spoke after her, extra quietly, that she wouldn't understand me, which she couldn't anyway, because of the volume and because she was already too far away from us.

"Alright, let's see what drinks they got", I rubbed my hands together, walking towards the long table with a red tablecloth, on which there were lots of bottles and mugs.
"They got coke, beer, gin tonic, uhhh whiskey, vodka!...", I threw a look at the selection of drinks, "...what's that?" I gave Clay a glance, pointing at a clear bottle without inscription.

"That's Everclear Grain, George", Clay explained expressionless before suddenly frowning at the bottle.
"Never heard of it before", I commented.
"How could they not put a label on that?", he stepped forward and grabbed the bottle, "Are they insane? Putting it at a teenage party in the first place", his eyes narrowed as he stared at it tensed.

"Why?", I tilted my head to the side, my curiosity being released on that drink.
"George, this drink contains 95% alcohol", he threw me a warning glance, "You can't drink it, okay?"
"Oh, okay", I understood.
"Colourless, odorless, neutral in taste but quite strong", Clay seemed captivated by the bottle, "It is used for mixing, mostly for cocktails."

"Have you tried it before?", I asked.
"No", he put the bottle back down, "my parents taught me early on what to drink and what not to drink. Don't drink it, you understand?"
"Okay", I raised my eyebrows as signal I really wouldn't.
...but it was exciting me in some way anyways...

"If I remember right, it's even forbidden in some countries....", he glanced back to the bottle, "How did they....."
He seemed tensed and unsettled, not right for the party I wanted to have, so I decided to distract him.
"Let's dance!", I grabbed his arm, pulling him to the living room where people were moving around to different types of songs.

"George, this drink is not safe. It can be so dangerous. I gotta talk to Ruby", he tried to walk off, but I pulled him back to me, pressing him tightly against me and wrapping my arms around his neck.
"C'mon, how do you even know what it is if there's no label on it?", I rolled my eyes with a smile, trying to relax him.

"I would always recognize this bottle. Believe me George, I know enough. That idiot Floris can't get away with that", he threw me a warning gaze, grabbing my waist to push me away from him.
"Clayyyyy~, pleaseeee", I made a puppy face, "Let's just have fun for now. That's why we're here. You can complain later, alright?"

"George-", he made an uncomfortable face, but as soon as I pressed tighter against him, controlling him with my look as well, he stopped talking.
As soon as I felt his body relax and his breath slowly getting heavier, I pressed my lips to his, instantly shoving my tongue in, while our bodies slowly moved along with the music.

___________________________________________

~1.196 words~