EIGHT

"Tanya is great. She's a little headstrong but easy to get along with. She was the first person I met when I moved here," Shana tells me as she stares straight ahead at the road.

I nod, listening. "She sounds cool."

It's about 7:45 am, and we are currently on our way to meet the family I will be nannying for. Though it is my first day at a job I have no experience with, I am excited to be making my own money. And how hard is it to watch a kid?

"Oooh, and Terri is the cutest. Like she kidnap-able cute."

"What's wrong with you?" I laughed.

"She is!" Shana shouts as she pulls over to the curb. "Here we are." Shana nods her chin to a lovely home on the same side as me.

"Wow, they don't live that far from us," I noticed.

"So, you don't mind walking your ass back home? I can't be waking up at the crack of dawn every day."

"If that's how you feel," I say, squinting my eyes at her as we both get out of the car.

Once we make it to the front step, Shana rings the doorbell. I crack my knuckles as we wait. Shana shoulder bumps me, smiling.

Soon, we hear the sound of heels running towards the door before a beautiful older dark skin Black lady; I'm assuming Tanya opens it. She and Shana excitedly embrace each other. Once released, Tayna turns to me.

"You must be Andrea. I'm Tanya," Tanya smiles, holding her hand out for me.

"Hi, it's nice to meet you, Tanya." I smiled as I shook her hand.

"I'm so happy you'll be nannying for us. Shana told me so much about you."

"Well, thank you for the opportunity," I tell her as she lets us inside. From the inside, you can definitely tell she gets paid well. "Wow, your home is beautiful."

"Thank ya," Tanya says as I stare inside her decorated home.

"Where's my baby?" Shana asks before jogging to the kitchen, where we see Terri sitting in her high chair, eating breakfast. "How's my baby!"

With her mouth full of french toast, Terri excitedly claps her hands once she sees Shana running up to her.

"This little bean is Terri," Tayna says softly as she smiles at her baby and then at me.

Terri might be the cutest baby I have seen in a while. Her giant dark brown eyes fit her chubby little face so perfectly. She had her mother's skin-toned, which went perfect with her two buddle-up space buns.

"Hi, miss Terri," I shake her sticky baby hand."Whoa, she got a strong grip there."

"As she should," Tanya said with a chuckle.

We all talked a little bit before Shana had to head for work.

"So, I wrote a little schedule for you. You know, just to make your day a little easier." Tayna lets me know before passing a sheet of paper to me.

"Thanks, I appreciate it." I scanned the sheet of paper, impressed at how detailed everything looked.

Before she left for work, Tanya and I got to know each other a little bit more and discussed my pay. We were around the same age, her being a little older than me. As I learned more about her, I wondered what I was doing with my life. I know it's not a competition or anything. Tayna has a great career, a wonderful home, and a beautiful daughter.

It made me question everything about myself. After my attempted suicide, it was like my mind was in a clear state. My dreams have to start over. I don't know what I want to do anymore.